cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

Margaretd

Cold turkey - the only way I could quit

I remember my quit day vividly.  It was June, 9 2017.  

I had been trying to quit for over a year using patches.  I'd buy the patches (pretty expensive).  I could no longer get patches for free or reduced because I was too embarrassed to get them from my doctor as she knew (obviously) I had been on them for over the required time.

This is how my attempt to quit progressed.

In the morning I'd put on a patch quickly before the urge to smoke consumed me.   It would not be long before the urge to smoke overwhelmed the determination to quit.  When the urge to smoke came, I'd buy a pack of cigarettes (very expensive); rip off the patch, smoke a cigarette or two, become disgusted with myself, throw the new pack away, put on a patch.  Hours later or perhaps the next day, I would want another cigarette.  I'd drive to the store,buy another pack, rip off the newly placed patch and smoke again.  It was a truly vicious cycle.

On June 9th, I was sitting on my porch having another frenetic tussle with my determination to quit and my desire to smoke.  For the moment, smoking won out, patch off, smokes purchased.  Right after I fed the nicotine beast and he was resting comfortably, my natural instinct of self-preservation kicked in, apparently much stronger than my physical desire for self-satisfaction.  My internal dialogue erupted in self-contempt and loathing for my addiction.  I said; "that's it, I am not going to do this anymore.  I can't go on like this".  It was at this moment I put down the cigarettes and pick up life.  

I joined a quit-smoking community and posted every day.  The physical action of hitting the "pledge" button was something I needed.  I finally turned the corner and became in control of my addiction when I stopped struggling against the craves.  Instead of fearing them, I embraced them.  I walked, I reached out for support from other smokers, and I resolved not to support big tobacco. It helped to let my anger at big tobacco fuel my determination to break the bondage of my addiction and I posted about it ad nausea.  I knew I could no longer play around with this very potent addiction.

Good luck to all as you transition from smoker to non-smoker.

You can do this, we have to do this.  

Labels (1)
2 Replies
YoungAtHeart

LOVE the cartoon!  You were successful because you finally made up your mind.  You can never win an argument with your addict within - and you finally decided not to have it anymore.  You found the key!  I hope others who are struggling will read your words and that they might provide that AHA moment you had!

Congratulations, and thanks for this!

Nancy

0 Kudos
indingrl

CONGRATS ON NON SMOKER LIVING- SO COOL

0 Kudos