cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

Toomuch413

Hooked on nicotine o gum

I hope this,wont disqualify me. But it has been ys. First of it tastes,good. But it's the nicotine I am hooked on. No one knows I am embarrassed. Anyone else??

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
sweetplt

Nope not addicted to nicotine gum, but I knew someone who was addicted to it after she quit smoking...She had to go through the same process of quitting after years of chewing the gum...by decreasing the amounts and when she used it...then switched to regular gum eventually...It isn’t uncommon for people to trade one addiction for another...You can quit this too....

Good you wrote this post, I am sure you will help many...~ Colleen 385 DOF 

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Of course it  is possible to get addicted to nicotine gum.  Nothing to be embarrassed about - we're human.   It is a nicotine delivery system, so of course you're welcome to be an Exer.   The question is do you want to quit?   If so educate yourself about nicotine and create a quit plan. My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX  Have you tried weaning off ever by cutting down.  I've read a small percentage of quitters are worried about stopping the gum because they may go back to smoking.  Over the years, I've tried the gum, lozenges, and this time the nicotrol inhalers (along with many other things!)  I was able to stop them by just cutting down.  Give it a try and as a part of your plan, begin to substitute other behaviors.    It's really up to you-- I still believe it's not the ideal situation, but it's better than smoking.

Barb

There's a wonderful person here who  stills chews gum..  Hopefully she'll reach out to you.

YoungAtHeart

Delay and distract yourself and only use the gum as a last resort, thus naturally reducing the amount of nicotine over time.  You can then start cutting each piece of gum in half, then in quarters, then sub regular gum of the same flavor in between, adding more and more regular gum. 

It's gonna' take some effort on your part, but total freedom is SO worth it - I promise!

I'm glad you are here!

Nancy

Gwenivere

I had attempted to reply to this before.  I’m 'addicted' to the lozenges and don’t feel embarrassed at all nor disqualified asi haven’t lit a cigarette in over a year.  I use about 5 of the 2mg. a day.  For me, there are so many other challenges that take priority.  I don’t believe in taking on all wars at once.  For me the very fact I don’t smoke and have had only a couple of hardcore brushes with giving up makes me feel good about myself.  Sometimes I get sick of buying them and have been noticing I forget to have one now and then.  Perhaps someday I won’t even buy them anymore.  I use Werthers sugar free hard caramels too and they work pretty darned good!