cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

prissdoll

After completing the prescribed time for the patch

So I am @ 74 days without smoking a cigarette.  I used the patch and the last of the 7 mg. patches was used 17 days ago.  I was wondering why the anxiety and cravings have seen an uptick in the past couple weeks.  It just dawned  on   me that maybe it has something to do with not wearing the patch anymore.  Well, actually I was thinking it a few days ago and thought about getting some gum or another box of patches.  I think I do not want to do that though because that would just reintroduce nicotine and sooner or later I'd need to come off the nicotine anyway.. Yikes, it has been quite the rollercoaster....just thinking about smoking all the time even when doing the distractions.  Anyway, any feedback would be appreciated.  I know some do not agree with using the patches but I could never have done cold turkey.

7 Replies
maryfreecig

Sounds like you've thought it through and are not really wanting to return to the patches. You've done your homework and quit work so high five on that. Every day you move forward without smoking you are relearning life even when you feel uncomfortable--growth is going on. 

What ever you choose to do, it's your decision.

Keep up the good work.

/blogs/Marilyn.H.July.14.14.-blog/2019/09/30/its-bound-to-take-time-to-relearn-life  by Marilyn

sweetplt

Hi prissdoll Be Proud you are doing it ... and 74 days of Freedom attest to your super quit...I think like you said ...one way of another you have to get past the nicotine and withdrawal...you will get past it...you just need to learn to accept your new non smoking skin...readjusting to your new way of life takes “baby steps”... be sure to keep close to here and I am hoping tomorrow is a better day for you...~ Colleen 384 DOF 

prissdoll

Thanks for your replies.   i just had a good cry, and I am not a crier, but it felt good. So many of my emotions have been bottled up and stuffed down and what better way to do that than with a cigarette and some other not so healthy habits I have.  It is not an excuse but I have had some abusive relationships where I learned I could not have emotions, an opinion or sometimes many rights.   so I have a lot of crap inside me to sort out...a little at a time...just now the emotions seem overwhelming.  So I believe it will get better...I am believing you folks...maybe not as quickly as I would like or in the way I think it should, but I want to honor the commitment I made to myself to be smoke-free.  Thanks for the help...it is nice to not be alone.

And You are right...it is pretty crazy to expect things to happen quickly... I smoked for 54 years...so 74 days is a miracle but it will take time to start to really heal.  ya' know I read this stuff all the time, but it is a different story when you start to emotionally digest it...long way from the head to the heart.

Enough of my rambling.   Thanks again! 

sweetplt

Ah prissdoll sometimes a good cry in this journey is the best way to release our “roller coaster emotions”...now you are seeing this journey is so much more than just quitting...wish I could give you a hug...but I am sending a cyber one to you...~Gotcha in my Heart Colleen

JACKIE1-25-15

never give up.jpg

0 Kudos
DavidA555

Congrats on 17 days nicotine free, feels a lot more like your third week than 74 days now right. 17 days nicotine free is huge, your doing great ! Some people stay on NRT for a long time, I think the whole purpose of quitting was to get off nicotine ! You followed the instructions an did it perfect ! Have a great smoke free day !

AnnetteMM

My point was going to be similar to DavidA555‌.  You haven't smoked in many many wonderful Days of Freedom, but the nicotine is a whole other story. Look up posts about withdrawal and figure you're within the first 30 of it.