cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

CurtisG

So what do you think about the gum?

Jump to solution

Am I fortifying the quit or elongating the withdraw period by using 2mg nicotine gum?   I am not 5 days in, reduced need to chew the gum, symptoms remaining are lethargy & easily irritated.   Statistically it seems only 5% of 'cold turkey' quits last a year, using a NRT can double your success rate.  You know, I cant beat myself up over the gum cause I feel so much better physically without the other 150 ingredients a cig puts in my body

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Barbara145

Congratulations on quitting smoking.  Using NRT's are perfectly fine.  Come to this site often and get the support.  For most of us who stayed quit this site was one of the big reasons.  It takes extended support to be successful for many.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Barbara145

Congratulations on quitting smoking.  Using NRT's are perfectly fine.  Come to this site often and get the support.  For most of us who stayed quit this site was one of the big reasons.  It takes extended support to be successful for many.

YoungAtHeart

I am not a fan of the gum because we have had people come here because they became addicted to IT.  As long as you don't substitute it for every cigarette you used to smoke, delay and distract as your first line of defense during a crave and use it as a last resort, you should be fine.

Keep a plan in mind when you are further along in your quit to start reducing its use by cutting each piece in half, then in quarters, then sub regular gum of the same flavor in between, adding more and more regular gum. 

Used wisely, it can be a big help!

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

There's nothing wrong with using NRT.  There are many successful quitters here that have used an aid.  Follow the directions.   I used  nicotrol inhalers along with Welbutrin this time.  I didn't use the inhaler to the max allowed, but had not problems stopping it.   Are you using anything else?   Chewing on straws and Sour Patch Kids have been helpful for many.   Big congrats on your 5 days of success and continue to stay close to the site this time.  

Barb

0 Kudos
CurtisG

You know, I am not using anything else. My gf quit 4 days before me cold turkey and is out the other side fine. I sorta feel like a baby using the gum. My other 'ingredient' is this website. With 5-6 days in the book, symptoms really aren't pressing. Now its just a matter of staying the course, getting plenty of physical activity and keeping the mind busy. That wont be too hard with the Holidays upon us. And there aren't many smokers in my world which make it easier to proceed On Wednesday, December 18, 2019, 6:33:24 AM EST, Barbscloud <communityadmin@becomeanex.org> wrote:

#yiv0046574924 * #yiv0046574924 a #yiv0046574924 body {font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;}#yiv0046574924 #yiv0046574924 h1, #yiv0046574924 h2, #yiv0046574924 h3, #yiv0046574924 h4, #yiv0046574924 h5, #yiv0046574924 h6, #yiv0046574924 p, #yiv0046574924 hr {}#yiv0046574924 .yiv0046574924button td {}

|

BecomeAnEX

|

Re: So what do you think about the gum?

reply from Barbscloud in Conversations - View the full discussion

There's nothing wrong with using NRT.  There are many successful quitters here that have used an aid.  Follow the directions.   I used  nicotrol inhalers along with Welbutrin this time.  I didn't use the inhaler to the max allowed, but had not problems stopping it.   Are you using anything else?   Chewing on straws and Sour Patch Kids have been helpful for many.   Big congrats on your 5 days of success and continue to stay close to the site this time.  

Barb

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on BecomeAnEX

Start a new discussion in Conversations by email or at BecomeAnEX

Following Re: So what do you think about the gum? in these streams: Inbox

This email was sent by BecomeAnEX because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from BecomeAnEX, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences. Be sure to click Save. News Digest emails are sent on Thursdays by default.

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

The original goal is to quit smoking.  If you are using the gum and you believe it is helping you quit, no reason not to use it - again, judiciously.  There is nothing weak or baby-like to it!!!  Just like every person is unique, so is every quit.

Do have a plan as I mentioned to get off of it - when you are ready!

Congrats on your 5 days!

Nancy

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

No need to feel like a baby.   Try chewing on the straws.  It really helps.

Barb

0 Kudos
rubper83

2mg nicotine gum not strong enough to halt cravings, for me.

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

@rubper83 

Welcome!

Although I saw your comment, only those who originally participated on it in 2019 will see it.  I hope you will engage with the wider, current community by writing a blog to introduce yourself.  Go to Ex Community (top left), then center blue box (Post to a Journal/Blog).  You might include your nicotine use history, the product you want to quit, your quit date, why you want to quit, and anything else about yourself you want to share.

Hope to see you there!

Nancy

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

@rubper83 Welcome to the Ex and congrats on your desire to quit.  Here are some great posts by the Mayo Clinic that discusses NRT.  The first post discusses how to arrive at the correct dosage.

Navigating Nicotine Replacement: What are the opti... - EX Community

To NRT or Not to NRT – That is the Question - EX Community

Trying to decide on a short-acting nicotine replac... - EX Community

Please consider posting to My Journal/Post to introduce yourself to the community and receive some well deserve support.

Barb

0 Kudos