cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

jopickar

Smoke free/Nicotine dependent

When I began smoking it felt like a part of my DNA was unlocked. The feeling of smoking felt like something that was always supposed to be there. My grandparents smoked, my parents smoked, and from a early age I saw my sister smoke. I didnt start smoking until my early 20s when a relationship went bad and I was feeling rebellious. However, I instantly became a one pack to even more a day smoker. I am 6 months smoke free but it took 4 tries to get here. Quitting was the hardest thing I have ever done. The problem is I still am dependent on nicotine lozenges (2mg) and know I need to cut back at some point. I just can't judge when I should cut back. The cigarettes for me was all or nothing. Weening off on the nicotine seems very difficult to me at the moment. Any suggestions on next steps? 

Labels (1)
7 Replies
Barbara145

Congratulations on quitting smoking.  That is the most important thing.  If you are not ready to let go of the NRT's yet, give it a little more time.  You are doing great.  Only  3% to 5% become addicted to NRT"s.  Merry Christmas.

YoungAtHeart

How many lozenges are you using a day?  Figure out how much nicotine you are getting, and then maybe get a patch to replace them?  That will not give you the same "hit" as the lozenge, but it might allay some of the physical withdrawal symptoms while you work on your triggers and associations..  Depending on the mg, you might be able to reduce the patch strength over time.  There is not a way to get past ALL withdrawal pangs. - but this way, you can work that Bandaid off by starting to pull off an edge a little at a time.

If you want to wean directly off the lozenges, you might start subbing a mint of the same flavor in between to begin, increasing the number of them over time.  Or maybe start by  decreasing the amount of time you  leave it in your mouth, continuing to decrease it over time.  Be sure to delay and distract when you get a craving to naturally reduce the number you are using.

Sorry you are having to go through this, but I applaud your desire to be truly free.  It is SO worth all it takes to achieve it!

Nancy

AnnetteMM

Have you tried replacing some of your daily lozenges with other things, like cough drops or mints?

sweetplt

HI and Welcome to Ex’s...6 Months of Freedom is super...I wish I could help you, but I didn’t use NRT...listen to those above me...they have good advice...Happy Friday and Happy 6 months...~ Colleen 382 DOF 

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Big huge congrats on 6 months smoke free.   That's an amazing accomplishment.  It's your decision--have you tried cutting back on the lozenges?  Have you tried just waiting a little longer before you take one?  Are you using anything else?  Deep breathing, chewing on straws, sour patch kids, going for a walk,, etc. .  Maybe just try to replace a lozenges with another tool periodically.   Here to support your quit, not to judge.   Happy you're not smoking!

Barb

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

Congratulations on 6 months!!!  Thanks for telling your story. Stick with Ex, learn, read, blog, comment as much as you wish. By spending some time with quitters you might very well come to an understanding about how to end the lozenges. It's on your say so--but Exers are here to offer experience, strength and hope (something which you have to offer too!!!). Welcome to Ex. 

abbynormal42

I know what you mean about feeling like smoking was in your DNA. My grandparents smoked. My dad smoked (he's still a closet smoker.) And I was hooked from the very first puff.

First off, the fact that you have gone 6 months without a cigarette is phenomenal! Be very proud of that. Now is the time to start thinking about dealing with the nicotine dependency. The suggestion AnnetteMM‌ made above is a very good one and exactly how I would proceed. Start subbing something else for some of your lozenges. I recommend a strong mint like Altoids. (I was addicted to cinnamon Altoids for a while when I first quit!)

Be aware that coming off of nicotine will cause some withdrawal. There is no way around that. But the more you prepare yourself, the better you will be able to handle it. Read up on nicotine addiction and how it affects the body and brain. Have a plan in place for what you will do when cravings strike. Your body will very likely be tired, so plan to get extra rest. Your brain chemistry will go through a shift, so do things to increase your dopamine (the feel-good chemical in the brain) naturally--exercise if you can, spend time with loved ones, listen to music, meditate, eat some dark chocolate, watch comedies. These are all ways to increase your dopamine naturally. (Google "increase dopamine naturally" for additional ideas!)

You have one great advantage--you've already broken the habit of smoking cigarettes. That's a really tough thing to do, and you've done it! You can do this next step. There are lots of people here who are ready and willing to support you.