cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

RevTerrie

I'm Still Here! 4 Months!

It seems like forever since I've written anything and there have been some changes lately. The job that I had was taken back within a week of my hiring because my cousin also works for the county, she's been there for twenty-five years, and since she stopped speaking to me a few years ago I guess she thought she didn't want me working where she may rarely run into me. Of course, I couldn't leave it at that. My word, my integrity, and my character mean everything to me and if any of those are questioned I have to get to the bottom of it. I only found out what happened by talking to others that I know who also work there to see if they could find out. As I've said before, my family isn't close and it seems like they actually enjoy trying to bring down other people. My grandparents raised me and gave me values that their own children didn't choose to learn from them. Gram and Pap must weep in heaven as they look down on the family that they started because this was never how they wanted things to be. I also know how proud they are of me and who I've become because I am the best parts of both of them and before I say or do anything I consider how it will make God view me first and foremost and then I think of how my grandparents will view me. I want them to be proud of who I am and how I treat others.

After the job was taken back by one department, I just applied to a different department and I knew that someone's actions against me for no reason would be corrected on their own. Right always wins. It wasn't a week later that I received a call from the head of human resources telling me that they wanted me to come back in because they found that there were unethical activities that took place with the job I was offered. So I have three departments now who want to talk to me and interview me. I've already interviewed with one and will see another on Monday. When my cousin thought she was keeping me from having a job it only helped give me more opportunities. God is always watching. The way it looks, I'm going to end up being able to choose which one I want. My digestive disease is still better.... it's not perfect, but I'll soon be able to take better medicines and it WILL go into remission. Today is four months since I quit smoking and I keep going forward to bigger and better things. I want to move out of here and I know that everything will happen. I still have times when I want a cigarette when I get really stressed, but I come here and keep reading and all of you help me in ways that you don't even know. One last unbelievable thing that happened..... my dad who smoked three packs a day hasn't smoked for a month! I told you that they kept trying to sabotage me by laying cigarettes around, but it didn't work. He finally asked why and I told him that he just couldn't do it and I could and that's why he felt the need to try and keep me doing what he was doing. He didn't realize that I was using reverse psychology on him to see what would happen. Well, he couldn't have anyone saying that he couldn't do something so he quit right then and there! The next morning he woke up with the flu and a chest cold and didn't want them anyway. So he's still not smoking after a month. Now, it would be great if Mom would do the same. She did start taking Chantix so she's making an effort. I'm so glad that there's less smoke in the house and more people are quitting! I wish I could have written sooner, but I got the flu and that chest cold from my dad and I'm finally over it. Thank you for all of your support that has helped to get me to where I am! I never forget what you have done for me!

8 Replies
YoungAtHeart

ALL good news!  So happy to hear it.

Always keep in mind that there is never a good reason to smoke - there are but excuses!

Enjoy your new job!  Good to know you won't be one of those employees having to run outside all the time and come back in smelling like an ashtray!  Cool,huh?!

Nancy

RevTerrie

Nancy,

Thank you for everything. That's one of the many things that I don't miss about cigarettes... the awful smell! This house smells like a huge ashtray and I notice it so much now, especially when I'm out of the house and come back in. I can't believe that smell is all over me from being in here and it used to be even worse when I was smoking. I've gotten to the point where I think cigarettes are disgusting. I'm very glad that my dad quit, but he tells my mom and everyone else that he doesn't want them smoking around him. I keep thinking to myself..... I wish I would've had that option when I was in the first few weeks when it was the hardest. There are a lot of control freaks in my family so they tend to try and tell people what they're allowed to do. At this point, I'm happy for my quit and just looking forward to Zonie and I moving into our own place where it's smoke free and working with the doctors to get my health in a better place and having a job that will be fulfilling because I'm helping to make other people's lives better. There will come a time when I have everything I'm working hard to get. Thank you so much my friend for all of your support.

0 Kudos
indingrl

Yahooooooooo CONGRATS 4 months and CONGRATS to YOUR parents NICOTINE FREEDOM - WAY TO GO and GOOD JOB

RevTerrie

Thank you so much! You've been one of my first friends and supporters here and I can't tell you how much it means to me. When I move into that smoke free place to live for Zonie and I....we have to have a huge celebration for being smoke free.... for Zonie and I being out of this house of stress and hell........ and for having wonderful people that support us everyday!! I love you guys!  Having the Crohn's go into remission will be enough to celebrate all by itself!!

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Good to hear from you and a big congrats on your 4 months smoke free.  That's fabulous having several job opportunities   It is ironic how good can often come from bad.  Good news all way around!

Barb

RevTerrie

Barb, 

I wrote a long reply to you before answering Colleen and I was hoping whatever error that occurred would correct itself, but it doesn't look like it's going to.... I thanked you for being one of the first friends I had here and how your strength gave me strength. It was great and I wish it wouldn't have disappeared. It ended like this... It IS amazing how many good things come out of something bad, but all people don't treat each other like they would like to be treated and think of others. If the entire world were truly that way, I wouldn't be watching impeachment proceedings for abuse of power. I'm just grateful that I have this group of people who care about others and are so supportive. The world could learn from all of you!

0 Kudos
sweetplt

Congratulations on 4 months of Freedom....Happy Friday ~ Colleen 375 DOF 

RevTerrie

Thanks, Colleen! I couldn't have done it without you and the rest of the original group of 'my people' here! Happy Friday to you too! I love you guys! 

0 Kudos