cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

Sheteve

Why is this so hard?

Mark Twain‘Giving up smoking is the easiest thing in the world. I know because I've done it thousands of times.’ 

I really feel what Mark Twain was saying here because I have attempted being a nonsmoker MULTIPLE times. I have used the patch and this time I'm just going cold turkey. I am trying the Allen Carr method. I have also tried Chantix (which made me CRAZY) and the gum which I had an allergic reaction to. 

I actually thoroughly enjoy not smoking but after I get about 6-7 days in this little monster starts chatting in my ear saying things like if you just have one with your wine it will be fine, but it doesn't stay at 1 and it doesn't end up fine. Any advice, or information on what has helped multiple attempt quitters actually kick smoking for good?

15 Replies

It's really not that difficult if you clear your mind & have a willingness to change & grow. Make the commitment & stick to it no matter what. Become the person you didn't know you wanted to be.

Mn@ 001.jpg

Barbara145

I had to make a promise to myself that no matter what I wanted, no matter what I was thinking or feeling, a cigarette would never be the answer again. I had many failed attempts before this quit.  It has been 6 years since I quit.  It is better than your wildest dreams. You can do this.  Come here frequently.  You will need the support. 

DonnaMarie

It is hard for so many reasons. Smoking was my "friend" who asked nothing in return, expected nothing from me, was there anytime/anywhere, and accepted me for me. It's hard because I smoked when I was joyful and when I was distraught, and all times in between. It's hard because I'm an addict and so are all regular smokers. It's hard because it's hard. I quit so many times, once for 8 years. It's hard because if you smoke just one, you're back into the world of active smoking. And every single day, every....single....day I remind myself that it's N.O.P.E. 

Know that everyone here is pulling for you and will do everything they can to help you through the tough and the happy times. 

Donna

359 days <--- never thought I'd see that number ever again in my life 

sweetplt

Hi and Welcome to Ex’s...Might I suggest, you read at My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX ...and read here the posts...I found what helped me was planning, educating and knowledge and then the support of this site.  Hang in there....and you know what days start to get rough...so make a plan...no alcohol until you are stronger in your quit...go to see a movie on the 6th day, drink lots of water, do a jigsaw puzzle...etc., anything just don’t give in to the Nicodemon....redirect your mind and activity....We are here for you...~ Colleen 373 DOF 

Giulia

"Any advice, or information on what has helped multiple attempt quitters actually kick smoking for good?" Yup - hanging out here and reading as much as you can get your eyeballs on.  The more you know, the better prepared you are for the journey.  A strong preparation makes for a strong quit.  And once you  truly understand that you simply can't have "just one," you're on your way to a forever quit.  THE EX ONE PUFF FILES  This is an addiction.  One puff awakens the nicotine receptors.  What is the Single Best Thing You Can Do to Quit Smoking? - YouTube   But practice makes perfect.  /blogs/Giulia-blog/2018/03/01/quitting-is-a-skill-that-can-be-learned?sr=search&searchId=e8799eea-6b...‌  You can do this.  If we can, YOU can!  Chin up and have heart.

Sheteve

Thanks for recommending the YouTube video. It was awesome, and I've never seen it before.

Giulia

It's really kind of an eye opener in so many ways.  Glad it spoke to you!

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

You have already gotten GREAT advice - and the bottom line is that it is difficult because it is a two part addiction - physical AND psychological.  The nicotine is out of your body in about three days if you quit Smart Turkey (our name for Cold Turkey), then it takes a couple of weeks for your body to adjust to life without it.  Then, I believe, the most difficult part of the addiction needs to be dealt with - the associations and triggers you have built up over your years of smoking.  If you read as much as you can, plan, prepare, get your support network here and commit, you CAN be successful. 

I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking,”  and was happy to see that you have read it..  I credit the knowledge I gained from it in large part for my success at quitting on my very first attempt over seven years ago.

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go to the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmoking.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance. Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

It will be informative if you do the tracking and separation exercises recommended here on the site. As you track each cigarette smoked, note its importance, and what you might do instead. Put each one off just a little to prove that you don't NEED a cigarette just because you think you do.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

Sheteve

Thank you all for your support to my first post ever! I have to admit I was having doubts about even asking for help. You all have made me feel so welcome.