cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

Nj2fl1223

Does anyone have any experience with Wellbutrin and quitting smoking?

Hi my name is Christina. I'm 34 and have been smoking since I was 18 years old. I've tried the patch and chantix for one month and still wasn't able to quit. Now my Dr put me on Wellbutrin extended release 150mg twice a day. Does anyone have any experience with Wellbutrin and quitting smoking? Any answers will be helpful. Thank you!

Labels (1)
9 Replies
Barbscloud

After trying everything, I used Welbutrin, nicotrol inhalers, a smoking cessation class and the Ex this time.   I smoked for about 50 years and have 637 DOF.   The medication and NRT were both helpful, but I believe in addition to that, the support from others is the key.   Any of these products can certainly aid in your quit, but you still have to do the work.  Educate yourself about nicotine addiction and create a quit plan My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX  .  I didn't realize how little I knew about this addiction.    Knowledge and preparation with help in your success.  We're here to support you so pick a date one to two weeks after you've started the Webutrin.  You can do it!

Barb

YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

Nothing is going to quit FOR you.  It is important that you educate yourself, plan, prepare, gather support and commit to never smoking another cigarette NO MATTER WHAT.  We can help with all but the commitment. 

The important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This easy and entertaining read provided a world of good information about nicotine addiction, most of which I was not aware.  I credit it in large part with my success at quitting.   You can search for it online or at your local library.

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go to the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmoking.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance. Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

After you have completed the recommended reading, it will be time to make an informed choice of the quit aid, if any, you will use. If you go that route, I personally recommend the aids that don't let the addict control the dose such as the available prescription drugs or the patch.   Be sure to take the Wellbutrin as directed.  It should take the edge off of the nicotine withdrawal. 

It will be informative if you do the tracking and separation exercises recommended here on the site. As you track each cigarette smoked, note its importance, and what you might do instead. Put each one off just a little to prove that you don't NEED a cigarette just because you think you do.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

Strudel

I also used Wellbutrin when I quit. Like Barb above, I credit this site and the support here with helping the most.....but, I think that the Wellbutrin helped also. I quit after 40 years - and that was over 9 years ago. My main advice - stick around here! Welcome! 

KTQeeyore

Wellbutrin worked great for me. I lost the cravings for a smoke. I still had to quit putting things in my mouth and setting them on fire! Wellbutrin will not do that for you! I then told myself I would not smoke today. Tomorrow, who knows. Then the next day I would lather, rinse and repeat!   You can do this!!!!  

JACKIE1-25-15

Welbutrin helped to make the transition from smoking to quitting easier.  It took some of the edges off of the withdrawal symptoms but I still had to go through the withdrawal.  Since the drug releases dopamine it makes it doable.  You still have to not smoke.  I set a timeline for how long I would use it (90) my preference.  The good thing is it is not an addictive drug.  The only side affect was some sleeplessness so I would take it earlier in the day so it would not affect my sleep as much.  It did give me a little pep in my step because it is an antidepressant.  I wish you the best on this journey. Education is the key to a successful quit.  

0 Kudos
cococay1964

I have a friend who quit using Wellbutrin, she said it made her act mean but if you are aware of this you can control it. I am going to talk to my Dr and ask about Wellbutrin and the patch since I am a chain smoker, 2 packs a day 😢

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

@Nj2fl1223   Welbutrin  (Burpopion)   "Bupropion is used to treat depression. It can improve your mood and feelings of well-being. It may work by helping to restore the balance of certain natural chemicals (neurotransmitters) in your brain."  But they discovered it also helped people quit smoking. 

As with any medication there can be side-effects that someone may experience and others may not.    Being irritable is one of them.  I didn't experience that.

Remember though, it is an aid and you still have to do the work.  Read material on the site to learn about nicotine addiction and create your quit plan.  

Stay close.

Barb

Barbscloud

@Nj2fl1223   Welbutrin  (Burpopion)   "Bupropion is used to treat depression. It can improve your mood and feelings of well-being. It may work by helping to restore the balance of certain natural chemicals (neurotransmitters) in your brain."  But they discovered it helped people quit smoking. 

As with any medication there can be side-effects that someone may experience and others may not.    Being irritable is one of them.  I didn't experience that.

Remember though, it is an aid and you still have to do the work.  Read material on the site to learn about nicotine addiction and create your quit plan.  

Stay close.

Barbscloud

@cococay1964 My apologizes. I should have addressed to you.  I hope it helped.

Barb

0 Kudos