cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Samanthaeve

Cut chantix pill in half?

Restarting chantix/ cutting pill in half?

has anyone ever done this successfully?

insurance  won’t cover another starter pack..

i stopped taking chantix into the second month because the nausea was crippling!

anyway- I was able to tolerate the half dose they start you off with without any problems.

however- I can’t find anything conclusive online from folks that have cut the pill in half with no ill effects .

Naturally I consulted the Chantix website and they tell you to NOT cut the pill in half .

i also did a google search and came up with someone asking the same question about halving the 1 mg pill...

advice from other forum members was to go ahead and score the pill.

i don’t trust it...

but I DO trust the experienced folks here.

any advice or do I have to spring for the 500 bucks monthly price?

mall advice/ experiences appreciated.

thanks!

Tags (1)
22 Replies
YoungAtHeart

I would check with the doctor who prescribed it.  That being said, it is a general rule that a pill that has ingredients thoroughly mixed throughout will usually have a cut indentation in the pill.  No indentation, it might not be half a dose in half a pill.

If it comes to that, it might help you to know that you will save the $500 cost over time from not buying smokes...not to mention all the time and health you will gain!  I would call several pharmacies to check on the cost if you have to pay it - there can be a significant difference.

Samanthaeve

hi.

I checked with the doc who prescribed it.

He said he can write an appeal for a half dose pill.- but my insurance still may not cover it as its the second scrip within a years time.

Price for Chantix is roughly 500 a month across the board at all pharmacys.

There are online coupons that save about 75 bucks off that 500 dollar price.

I agree about just paying for it- and chances are I will.

I am pissed that something as important/effective as Chantix  isn't free

Nicotine patches and lozenges and gum are usually given out in clinics with no charge.

Reckon big pharma is aware that they have an effective drug hence the hefty price tag.

Also read somewhere online that in May 2020 a generic version may be available.

I had generic Wellbutrin (Bupropion) and it wasnt half as effective as Wellbutrin when dispensed as written.

Sigh.

Gonna park a piece of nicotine gum in my mouth now and mull all of this over.

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

You might want to check with a pharmacist to see if it can be cut in half.  That is their expertise.

Barb

0 Kudos
Samanthaeve

Hi Barb,

i checked with the pharmacist first thing after finding nothing conclusive online as to why the pills can’t be cut in half.

She explained that when some tablets are manufactured that the medicine INSIDE aid he tablet isnt evenly distributed therefore they cannot be scored.

What a racket...

i am fully aware that not everybody quits the first time around with chantix - however most insurance companies don’t cover a refill more Han once within a years time.

Guess I have no choice but to either

a) white knuckle it

b) find another method of quitting (None of them have worked)

c) get terribly nauseous on full dose chantix which can be dangerous and miserable.

Barb- did you go cold turkey?

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

When I checked online there are actually lists of medications that can be split--it's just not all of them.  I'm glad the pharmacist was able to help you.  I've pretty much tried everything up till now.  This time I used Webutrin, nicotrol inhalers, smoking cessation class and the Ex.  I do believe the support I received from the class and the Ex made all this difference this time.

You might try this (this site said you could cut them in half--that's scary when no one else did).   It doesn't hurt to ask.   

Savings Tip #2: Save as much as $75 per month with a savings card

Manufacturer Pfizer offers a savings card to help reduce out-of-pocket costs to as little as $40 per fill.

Chantix Savings Card
Program websitewww.chantix.com/support-for-taking-chantix/chantix-savings
Phone number1-800-746-4678
ManufacturerPfizer
How much can I save?You can save up to $75 per fill, after a $40 out-of-pocket expense.
How do I get the discount?Register online. Then, print your card and bring it with you to the pharmacy when you pick up your prescription.
Are there any restrictions?This card is for both insured and uninsured individuals. Keep in mind that you will pay more without commercial insurance.

While this is a good option, especially for those who pay high out-of-pocket costs for Chantix, there is debate surrounding the long-term effects of copay cards. Critics of these cards claim that they drive insurance premiums up, mask manufacturer price hikes, and discourage the use of cost-effective generics.

Savings Tip #3: Apply for a patient assistance program

Uninsured, low income patients may be able to get Chantix for free with the Pfizer RxPathways program.

Pfizer RxPathways Patient Assistance Program
Program websitehttps://www.pfizerrxpathways.com/
Phone number1-877-744-5675
ManufacturerPfizer
How much can I save?Your prescription may be free if you qualify.
How do I get the discount?Download and fill out your part of the application. Then, ask your doctor to help you submit it.
Are there any restrictions?You will need a valid prescription and proof of your gross monthly household income. Contact the program to see if you are eligible.
Samanthaeve

Hi...

It’s weird that every cessation aid can be split in half to make it cost effective with the EXECPTION of the most expensive and perhaps the most effective aid..

Also- the chantix coupon lessens the cost by only 75 bucks.

Even more insane is that the patient assistance program is impossible to qualify for u less you live under a bridge and sleep on a bench.

In any case, the cost of the meds was only a fraction of my concern.

I was more freaked out that the pill couldn’t be cut in half becUse of some terrible physical penalty I would suffer.

Sent from my iPhone

Barbscloud

The important thing is that you're quitting smoking.   I know I'm someone that want's to know the "facts", so don't let this craziness side track you.

Barb

0 Kudos
KellanC74

Try eating something before taking the chantix   Feeling less nauseous after. I have been on chantix and talking to my doctor about it 

0 Kudos