cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Godisable247

What do you do when nothing helps for a strong craving ?

What do you do when nothing seems to help when you have a strong craving ?

0 Kudos
26 Replies
marciem

Each craving lasts approximately 3 minutes.  None of them will kill you.  As long as you understand that "This craving will go away whether I smoke or not", and the corollary that "The only way craves will go away forever is if I do not smoke no matter what"... then you can do it.  You can take anything for 3 minutes.  

A craving is a feeling.  It is really really crappy feeling, but it is a feeling.  Feelings don't kill you.  Smoking will.

Deep breathing, ice cold water to drink (or pour over your head  ),  and do your best to distract your mind from the crappy antsiness and anxiety that a craving can bring.  Physical exercise (jumping jacks or whatever).  One minute at a time if need be.

Best to you!

Godisable247

It has been a little over 3 months and I am still going strong !

Barbscloud

That's wonderful.  Congratulations!

Barb

0 Kudos
Godisable247

Thank you  Barbscloud !

0 Kudos

You say, "Bring it on". Let it wash over you & it's gone in a couple of minutes. Embrace it. The more you do this the weaker they are & the stronger you become. Soon it'll be second nature just to shrug it off.

NOPE...practice it.

Mn@ 001.jpg

Cousin-Itt

Godisable247‌ In the beginning of my quit I was somewhat limited in the activities I could do. 

I can't say I had craves that wouldn't go away or it was just a bad day but what I found to be the best for me and still is for a lot of things is music.  I played music from my younger days and sang along. Sometimes / more often then not I would remember different good times   

Find what works for you

The Best to you

Carl

0 Kudos
Mandolinrain

VICKS VAPOR RUB. A bit under my nose and I was good to go! I swore by it and I also used the Vicks inhaler when I was out in public and didn't want to smell like Vicks  I also cleaned anything and everything in my house!

sweetplt

How long have you been quit...? In the early days you are dealing with both physical and mental craves...then there is just the mental craves...which are tough, but we can get through them...usually when they won’t go away...you hang in there and do everything to keep busy...and usually a good night’s rest and tomorrow is a better day...Hang tough...~ Colleen 1 Year 1 Day Free 

YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

Take a walk, take slow/deep breaths, going slower and deeper with each, call a friend, talk another walk, work on a crossword puzzle.  The idea is to get your mind occupied with something ELSE!

It would help us help you if we knew a bit more about your smoking history, your current quit date and if you are using any nicotine replacement products.

The important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This easy and entertaining read provided a world of good information about nicotine addiction, most of which I was not aware.  I credit it in large part with my success at quitting.   You can search for it online or at your local library.

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go to the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmoking.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance. Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

0 Kudos