cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Pookweencess

First Thanksgiving

This is my first Thanksgiving without smoking and the cravings are ruthless- any advice?

8 Replies
Barbscloud

Keep reminding yourself, I don't do that anymore.  Keep busy, chew straws, and do your deep breathing.  You can do it  - we put too much emphasis on some days more than others.   Are you going to be at home, away, with smokers?

Barb

sweetplt

Just know Pookweencess Thanksgiving is so much more than our addiction...it’s making memories, eating some good food, counting out blessings, etc., try and stay away from alcohol...and try to drink lots of water...keep yourself focused on what is going around instead of that dam Nicodemon...once you get through today...You will have a new memory of not smoking on Thanksgiving...You can do this...Gotcha in my Thoughts and sending out a prayer...to you and all at Ex’s...~ Colleen 360 DOF 

Pookweencess

I knew you would remind me what is important.  I am not drinking alcohol today and haven’t since I quit because I know it would bring that demon back to me.  Thank you for the support and the reminder- it means a lot.  Hope you have a beautiful Thanksgiving

YoungAtHeart

Change up your routines as much as possible.  Go for a walk if you can.  Stay away from smokers (and alcohol).  Write down all the GOOD things you have experienced by not smoking.  Include that you can probably taste all the foods better now.  If stress starts to get to you, find a quiet place and take some slow/deep breaths, going slower and deeper with each...or count the red/blue things in the room, or think about the process around each of the preps for the food consumed.

Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your head alone.  Think about something (anything) ELSE.

If you are at someone else's house and it gets too difficult, make an excuse and leave.  If you are home, take a break, go for a walk, or find a space to march in place. 

Keep your mind on anything but smoking.  You know you don't want to go through those first three days again - right?!  So - DON'T.

Stay close!

Nancy

indingrl

Yahooooooo - CONGRATS

3413-5590

I'm doing great for my 1st T.G. I have nicolette lozenges if I get that feeling.

WaynenMary

Great job on your smoke free Thanksgiving Pookweencess a‌nd even better job staying from the Alcohol, that can be a huge trigger. 

elvan

Congratulations on the first of many firsts to come.  You are doing great, stay close and vent when you need to.  It would have been a day filled with triggers if I still smoked, I am so glad that I don't.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Ellen