cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

mitchws1725

What to do with the smokers at holidays

/Hello and Happy Thanksgiving to you all -

My quit date was 9/15/19.  Man has it been difficult - esp. recently - but I have persevered (YAY Wendy).

I have not been around any smokers since I quit and I will be around some all weekend.  As a side note, for whatever reason, I have been drinking heavy this week but have not smoked.  This has been in my own home where there are no outside influences.

So...with or without drink I want that cigarette - that bad talker in my head will not back down.  I am scared and worried for myself - NOPE is always with me, but...  HELP.

Thank you all for your support and love,

Wendy

11 Replies
YoungAtHeart

You are still very early in your quit journey, and cravings are still to be expected.  Your drinking is not helping to quiet them..  When your resolve weakens from alcohol infused thinking, your addiction sees a door opening. 

Do yourself a favor and don't drink when you are going to be around people smoking. The temptation between the relaxation of your commitment and available cigarettes can easily lead to a bad decision. Have a plan of what you can do if the going gets tough.  Will you take a quick walk?  Go to a room (or place) where there aren't any smokers?  Find a quiet spot and take some slow/deep breaths?  Count backwards from 1,000?  Count the red/blue/green things in the room?

I KNOW you don't want to go back to Day One!  Worse case scenario - LEAVE!  Make up an excuse - any excuse ----I may have left the iron/oven/burner on; I have a headache; my stomach feels funny: I forgot to let the dog out before we came (only works if you actually HAVE a dog!!!) and get thee OUT of there.  Arrange ahead of time with the person you are with to support your decision. 

Your quit is a terrible thing to lose..

Nancy

mitchws1725

Hi Nancy - as usual your words inspire

On Wednesday, November 27, 2019, 04:36:36 PM EST, Youngatheart.7.4.12 <communityadmin@becomeanex.org> wrote:

|

BecomeAnEX

|

Re: What to do with the smokers at holidays

reply from Youngatheart.7.4.12 in Conversations - View the full discussion

You are still very early in your quit journey, and cravings are still to be expected.  Your drinking is not helping to quiet them..  When your resolve weakens from alcohol infused thinking, your addiction sees a door opening. 

Do yourself a favor and don't drink when you are going to be around people smoking. The temptation between the relaxation of your commitment and available cigarettes can easily lead to a bad decision. Have a plan of what you can do if the going gets tough.  Will you take a quick walk?  Go to a room (or place) where there aren't any smokers?  Find a quiet spot and take some slow/deep breaths?  Count backwards from 1,000?  Count the red/blue/green things in the room?

I KNOW you don't want to go back to Day One!  Worse case scenario - LEAVE!  Make up an excuse - any excuse -

I may have left the iron/oven/burner on; I have a headache; my stomach feels funny: I forgot to let the dog out before we came (only works if you actually HAVE a dog!!!) and get thee OUT of there.  Arrange ahead of time with the person you are with to support your decision. 

Nancy

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on BecomeAnEX

Start a new discussion in Conversations by email or at BecomeAnEX

Following Re: What to do with the smokers at holidays in these streams: Inbox

This email was sent by BecomeAnEX because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from BecomeAnEX, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences. Be sure to click Save. News Digest emails are sent on Thursdays by default.

mitchws1725

Happy Thanksgiving!

I appreciate all you advice.Wendy

On Wednesday, November 27, 2019, 07:00:57 PM EST, elvan <communityadmin@becomeanex.org> wrote:

|

BecomeAnEX

|

What to do with the smokers at holidays

elvan marked Youngatheart.7.4.12's reply on What to do with the smokers at holidays as helpful. View the full reply

Marked as helpful:

I KNOW you don't want to go back to Day One!  Worse case scenario - LEAVE!  Make up an excuse - any excuse -

I may have left the iron/oven/burner on; I have a headache; my stomach feels funny: I forgot to let the dog out before we came (only works if you actually HAVE a dog!!!) and get thee OUT of there.  Arrange ahead of time with the person you are with to support your decision. 

Nancy

Following What to do with the smokers at holidays in these streams: Inbox

This email was sent by BecomeAnEX because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from BecomeAnEX, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences. Be sure to click Save. News Digest emails are sent on Thursdays by default.

YoungAtHeart

And to you, as well.  Let me know how it goes.

(and don't smoke!!!)

elvan

PLEASE pay attention to what Nancy has advised.  I lost more than one quit after having a couple of drinks...I had never heard of NOPE before but I sure have now and it has saved me many times.  I did not drink any alcoholic beverages for six months, I was terrified that I would have to start over.  Put a little dab of Vicks under your nose so you don't have to smell the smoke and make a BIG DEAL out of the importance of your quit, asking people for support can't hurt.  It would be great if they would not smoke inside or anywhere around you; protect your quit like your life depends upon it, it just might.

Happy Thanksgiving and congratulations on your quit.  Keep going, stay close to the site.

Ellen

Pookweencess

I once was right where you are and I didn’t think I could fight those cravings but I am now on day 127 and I still have cravings but they have gotten fewer and less harsh.  One thing I have not done is drink alcohol these past 4 months because I know that I would cave in to this addiction.  Please try to stay away from the alcohol- you DESERVE to be smoke free- I know it is hard but YOU CAN do it.  It will get better in time- come here when you think you can’t take it anymore- I did and some amazing people helped me to not give up on myself

sweetplt

Hi Wendy...I quit last year before Christmas...and I didn’t drink or see family because I couldn’t take the chance of throwing my quit...I had to do what I had to do...almost like a flu bug and not going around anyone...it isn’t worth throwing a quit for one day out of the year...Thanksgiving...keep away from the smokers and the drink...Holiday’s are so much more that our addictions...keep us posted Wendy...Gotcha in my Thoughts ~ Colleen 360 DOF 

Barbscloud

It may be easier said than done, but just remember this is just like any other day.  It's one day at a time and I don't do that anymore.  Use the tools you've been using to be successful this far.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Barb

DonnaMarie

N.O.P.E., N.O.P.E., and N.O.P.E. again will set you free. Stay smober. You've worked too hard to get where you are. You hold all the cards and have all the power.  Look what you've done so far and be kind to yourself. 

Wendy, you got this. 

Hugs,

Donna