cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

redluvr

Secondhand smoke made me feel disgust for the first time today

I was somewhat surprised this evening to find myself really disliking the secondhand smoke I could smell from a gas station employee smoking outside when I stopped on my way home to fill the tank. It wasn't a trigger at all. I just wanted to finish my business and get out of there. Does anybody else remember the first time the smell of smoke was aversive? I kinda feel like this is a good sign 🙂 

7 Replies

Ugh, the smell disgusts me, I suppose that hit me maybe after the 1st month or so. 

I am from the north, and its super bad and clings to people who smoke coats, so in the store, you can smell the stinky smokers a mile away..

Yes, this is a very good sign!

sweetplt

For me, I still like the smell if it is a distance and in the air...but if I am up close and personal to smoke...(walking into grocery store and someone standing right at door smoking) I donot like it...I have come to the point in my journey that it doesn’t matter smell and/or no smell...it is that “I just don’t do that anymore...”...Happy Thanksgiving redluvr to You and Yours...Collee 359 DOF 

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

This topic comes up frequently.  Some of us still like the smell of a burning cigarette, but not the awful smell on a person.  

0 Kudos
AnnetteMM

UGH yes! Whenever I'm at the sports bar watching a game I can tell immediately when someone has come in from smoking. Also, I smell someone actively smoking from far away now and I just feel sorry for them.

Barbara145

I smoked until I got COPD.  It is more than disgusting to me. I avoid it like the plague. It is a good sign about your quit. You are doing this.

Marebear74

I'm so ready to experience that! I'm still in the seek out the source of the smoke so I can get me some secondhand smoke phase lol.  I never could stand the stench of people that smoke in their home and cars though. Congratulations on that milestone!

0 Kudos
elvan

Congratulations, that's a great milestone!  I cannot remember the first time I recognized that but I, honestly NEVER liked the smell, even when I was smoking.

Ellen

0 Kudos