cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

milesfrommo

Chantix Resistance?

I am using Chantix for the 4th time in over 10 years.  The second time I used it I quit smoking for over 2 1/2 years.  It worked beautifully for me: smoking provided zero pleasure and it was easy for me to quit.  Since then I have found Chantix to be less efficacious.  I'm nearly finished with the second week and I can still get a slight dopamine hit from a couple drags.  Is there such a thing as Chantix resistance?  Has anyone tried three doses per day instead of the prescribed two?  I didn't find anything useful on the internet.

I'm a 40+ year smoker.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
constanceclum

The one thing I have learned in this journey is how much of it is psychological. I had a much easier time the 1st time I quit with chantix than the 2nd. Neither of those quits were forever. I remember when I 1st learned I could use nicotine lozenges with the patch. I quit without 1 single craving. I relapsed during NML. At 124 DOF, I believe this is my forever quit, and I quit with the patches and, the first week I used about 5 lozenges/day, but it seemed to barely take an edge off the cravings. I think excitement and motivation do a great deal to minimize cravings no matter what quit method we use.

YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

I would not increase the dosage without first discussing it with your doctor.  Chantix has some super-charged side effects, and I would worry about them at a higher dose.  I did a search for this topic, and did not come across any mention of a resistance after multiple uses. I did read that the suggested quit is one week after beginning the medication.   I might recommend that you prepare to quit differently this time - educate, plan, prepare, get advice and support here....idk?  It can't hurt.  You might continue the recommended dose, and go after this quit as though you are doing it Smart Turkey (what we call Cold Turkey).  Hopefully, the withdrawal will be less uncomfortable with Chantix.  Whatever you do, please don't just give up because the drug isn't working as before.  It is really important that you quit; you understand that.

The important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This easy and entertaining read provided a world of good information about nicotine addiction, most of which I was not aware.  I credit it in large part with my success at quitting.   You can search for it online or at your local library.

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go to the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmoking.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance. Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

It will be informative if you do the tracking and separation exercises recommended here on the site. As you track each cigarette smoked, note its importance, and what you might do instead. Put each one off just a little to prove that you don't NEED a cigarette just because you think you do.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

sweetplt

Hi And Welcome to Ex’s milesfrommo 

This journey is so much more than just quitting...You got great advice above me...be sure to do the work and the reading...along with the Chantix and make this time your forever quit...one suggestion, check with your Doctor who prescribed the Chantix to see what he or she recommends...~ Colleen 362 DOF 

milesfrommo

I read the insert that came with Chantix and it listed three strategies for quitting.  Previously like many I set a quit date and that was that - sink or swim.  Following one of the other methods, I am continuing to smoke into the 2nd week but increaslingly paring it back.  I'm at two cigaretttes a day and by the end of the 2nd week course I plan to be done.  I think it would be easier to do this during fairer weather just to change up my morning routine with a walk, but brrrrr.

YoungAtHeart

Then maybe march in place, or do a couple of sets of stairs, or find a yoga or exercise video online and do one of those?  You might also come here to the site and read first thing.  When you have a bit of savings, might you join a gym?

LOTS of ways to change things up!

annejdav

I can't believe the number of times I used Chantix.  Every time I went to the Pharmacy to pick up another package I though my insurance wouldn't cover it!  I don't know why but back in mid August I started Chantix again.  This time it was different.  By Day 5 I really didn't enjoy smoking.  Today marks Day 103 without a cigarette.  Maybe it's trial and error but I am so thankful it finally worked.  Good luck on your journey!  You can do this!  As the old saying goes "If at first you don't succeed pick yourself up and try again!"

YoungAtHeart

annejdav 

Congratulations on your entry into the TDC (Triple Digit Club)!

0 Kudos
Thovis

I've "quit" multiple times on Chantix and I've noticed it takes longer to build up in my system each time.  This time I took chantix for 17 days before I felt I was ready to lay them down.  Day 16 I smoked 3 and 17  was done.  They don't prescribe it the same as they used to.  They call it slow turkey instead of take for 7 days then stop, you take it until you are ready to stop.  I also took a wellbutrin this time for the first 30 days, beginning on quit day.  I found that I didn't have the occasional "snap at someone" that I did during other quits.  I'm at day 90 today and have about two weeks left on chantix.  

I should mention, I did not get doctor approval to take both at the same time.  I researched it on the internet and found a quit smoking site that has an online pharmacist that can prescribe nicotine gum and wellbutrin called get roman.  My research found that in combination it can work really well and I found it to be the case for me.  I chewed one piece of gum and now have 400 pieces to get rid of.  lol