cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

ClearColors

Do you consider this a life long addiction?

Do you consider this a life long addiction?  I would appreciate your help; what is your opinion please?

I believe this is a life long addiction. Today, someone said to me, this is not a life long addiction and wanted my reference for saying it is a life long addiction.

I have read my brain was forever altered and I know I am one smoke away. 

But I am at a loss at the moment for a reference.   Could you suggest a reference on it?

Thank you much.

Nancy

to life~

26 Replies
ClearColors

So far I found this:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/02/170202085656.htm

Nicotine creates a chronic drug memory in the brain

"It's a life-long struggle.”

YoungAtHeart

whyquit.com has a great Law of Addiction:  . The Law of Addiction states, "Administration of a drug to an addict will cause re-establishment of chemical dependence upon the addictive substance."

I also like this video by a Mayo Clinic doctor:  Nicotine and Your Brain - YouTube 

Addiction to nicotine, I believe, is not different than that to other drugs, or alcohol, and thus "just one" is not ever going to be possible if you have ever been a smoker.    In that regard, I guess we will always be recovering addicts.  We can NEVER, not ever, have just one.  I would take that to mean we have a lifelong addiction.....it just is not daily or hourly thought anymore.

Hope this helps!

(Another) Nancy

ClearColors

YoungAtHeart‌  Yes!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you for the sanity with this powerful information.

I like the whyquit information; I do remember them from years ago.

The video form the Mayo Clinic Doctor was simple and clear. Excellent!

I so appreciate your personal thoughts.  Thank you so very much for taking the time to put this together. Good Stuff!

And absolutely,  we are "recovering addicts"

Nancy this information helps me so very much!!!!!  

Blessings,

Another Nancy

(Many moons ago on the Old, OLD Quitnet, when we had clubs, we don't now -  There actually was  a Nancy club. Great members!! )

sweetplt

Everyone is different ... for me....I am one smoke away from going back .. so for me it is lifetime .. working on this addiction...I think you just have to know yourself...~ Colleen 357 DOF 

char13

Yes. It seems like sometimes it's easy and other times it's extremely difficult. My neighbor quit for 10 years and started smoking again. Fortunately he didn't smoke for too long and quit again.

linda258

I believe that nicotine is addictive and if I smoke  I will activate that addiction.  Therefore I live my life with the understanding that if I smoke, even just once, then I can fall right back into the trap of nicotine addiction and for me that means slowly killing myself.... one day at a time.  

I have a choice... I like my life... and I want to live.  

ClearColors

Today You guys helped with my sanity.!! 

Earlier today when an individual questioned my saying that  I have a life long addiction, and then asking for references, and someone said other stuff... it felt Iike I was about to go down a rabbit hole.  I was really shaken and I left that place.

(((YoungAtHeart‌)))

(((‌)))  sweepit your name is not coming up by itself.

(((char13‌ )))

(((linda258‌ )))

Thank you for taking the time, giving relevant information and speaking what is meaningful to you. I appreciate you. 

Blessings,

Nancy

YoungAtHeart

ClearColors - Did they also not consider that you are volunteering your time to help OTHERS?  That's the main reason, I think, that most of us hang around years after our quits are well in hand.  It helps us remain committed, but, at least for me, that is not the main reason I stay. 

You did well to get the heck away from THAT place!!!  Glad you have joined US!

ClearColors

~ Amen!!!! ~

0 Kudos