cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

bonnieherche

Did anyone have to switch their NRT method?

I'm 2 weeks into my quit and facing an unfortunate setback. My planned NRT, and NRT of choice as I don't participate in the decision about how much nicotine goes into my body, turned on me. I started noticing that over the past week, each time i removed the patch the skin irritation under got redder, itchier and eventually started to swell. After taking my self to urgent care yesterday I was informed I was having an allergic reaction and instructed to stop the patch immediately or the reaction could become systemic and cause bigger issues.

I tried another brand with a different type of adhesive and the same thing happened - it could be I'm allergic to all varieties of adhesives or that my system is flared so I'm going to react either way.

Regardless, instead of giving up and going to get a new JUUL, i got some nicotine gum.  I was using the 21mg patch and opted for the 2mg gum.  Has anyone else had to change NRT in the early stages of their quit? What were your experiences? I've been so focused on using the patch I haven't paid much attention to stories about the gum.  Hoping someone will share their positive experience - in desperate need of a little hope on this slightly depressing day 15.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Wow - sorry this is happening to you!  Like - you didn't need MORE stress??!! 15 days is a GREAT start, though!

The website for Nicorette recommends that you use the 4 mg if you smoke your first cigarette within 30 minutes of getting up in the morning.  They didn't seem to link the number of cigarettes smoked to the dosage of the gum.

I recommend that you only use the gum as a very last resort.  Change up your routines, stay busy, and put off each use as long as you can.  Subbing it for every cigarette you used to smoke might lead you to become addicted to IT!

If you start with the 4 mg gum, you can begin to wean yourself from it by first going to the 2 mg. Then, you can cut each piece in half, then in quarters, then sub regular gum of the same flavor in between, adding more and more regular gum. 

Don't let this railroad you out of your quit.  You have a good start - adjust and keep doing all the other things you are doing.

Let us know how it goes!

Nancy

bonnieherche

Thank you so much Nancy, it was an unexpected situation for sure - and just when I was feeling a bit more positive about my quit. After doing quite a bit of digging online it appears the 4mg is for those who smoke within 30 mins of waking and/or smoke more than 25 cigarettes a day. I am starting with the 2mg for a few reasons - I have 2 weeks on the 21mg patch under belt, when I was vaping I mostly managed to hold off until at least 30 minutes after waking, and even though I dont think I can really tell exactly what the equivalent of the JUUL vs. cigarettes are, I was using a pod a day which is supposed to be about a pack of cigarettes. I don't want to compromise my quit but I also don't want to start to go UP on nicotine, I want to be on my way down. I'm trying to have a "glass half full" attitude on this and say this was the universe's way of telling me the patch was not my quit method - but boy is it hard to have your plan changed on you this early in the game.

YoungAtHeart

I KNOW it is difficult, especially when you seemed to be doing so well.  Perhaps, when you feel ready, you might start by cutting that piece of gum in half?  idk - didn't use it myself.  I DO know that you need to be judicious in your use.  It should be more of a last resort.  Starting out, I wouldn't worry so much about using it - but as you move forward, do have a plan in mind to cut back your use.

Just keep going!

constanceclum

Many people find themselves unable to tolerate their 1st choice of quit aid and have to change. It doesn't have to be a big deal. Just keep an open mind to whatever new aid you decide on.

Connie

Giulia

Since I was a SMART TURKEY‌ quitter myself, I can't speak to your question, but I just wanted to say:  Don't let the fact that you have to change methods deter you and birth an excuse for failure.  You're doing GREAT.  You've got over two weeks vape free.  You're two weeks down this journey.  I'm so glad you didn't give up and run to your nearest vape shop.  That's something to be ELATED about.  You're two weeks ahead in this game.  You're breaking the hand-to-mouth cycle.  Don't revert.  Day one's are really no fun.  Right?  Stay the course!  Be true to you.  Don't let go.  Be a bulldog.  Don't let a craving pull you off course.

bulldog GIF      lazy dog GIF

redluvr

I think it's amazing that you made the decision not to give up and opted for gum instead of another JUUL! If you find yourself tempted at any point in the future, try to think back to that moment where you made the wise decision early on. If you had the strength to do it back then, any hypothetical future 'now' situations should be easier. Stay strong and don't hesitate to reach out if you feel like you need help!