cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

prissdoll

A Late Quitter

I am not much for using the computer because I am older and not very informed on the ins and outs.

I registered on this site some time ago, and I have been reading it faithfully every day.  It is helpful.

I have copd and am on oxygen...68 yrs. old...seven months ago I entered a personal care home because after two hospitalizations for respiratory failure I was unable to take care of myself.  I quit smoking for 3 months, but then the, "oh, screw it got me and I started smoking again....pure insanity.   I am now 43 days into my current quit...using the patches. I struggle big time, but have prepared better this time and I am using the tools.  I go to the lung doctor next week to get the results of a cat scan because I have small nodules they want to keep an eye on.  I am quite isolated with not a lot of support...have had family members remove themselves from my life because I could not quit smoking.  Sometimes I wonder why even bother quitting now...but this time is different because I really want to quit.  I want to do it for me...to prove I can and to do something kind, loving, and constructive for myself.  I have had other quits that did not last so was quite apprehensive about this one, but so far so good. I have ptsd so am no stranger to anxiety, but my anxiety if through the roof...I am hoping it will ease some as time goes on.  The last three days have been the most difficult, but I made it through.

I am stronger physically than I was when I came here..which is good but I am still quite limited.  I guess when it really hit home that the next cigarette could literally kill me on the spot...why I could not get that through my head before, I do not know and would like to quit beating myself up about it cause that just will set me up for relapse.

Anyway, I sure could use some support. Thanks!#

0 Kudos
17 Replies
YoungAtHeart

43 days is nothing to sneeze at!  You ARE doing this!  Don't look back - you aren't going that way!  You should find that it will start to be a bit easier soon.

Try to keep your mind busy, if you can. Might you get a book of crossword puzzles, or a jigsaw, or maybe an adult coloring book?   If it's available, be sure to have some water to sip.  When a crave hits, try counting backwards from 1,000, or count the number of green/blue/white things in your room.  If you are able, get a wheelchair and head out and about.  Fresh scenery is a great mood booster.

I am very proud that you are quitting under difficult circumstances.  You should be proud, too!!!

prissdoll

Thanks for the reply!  I do not require a wheelchair...made up my mind early on to get myself out of that, and I did.  Yes, I do the coloring, reading and all that.  I do some exercises in my room, and when the weather permits go for little walks around here...not too much of an area to walk, but I do when I can.  I do some of the activities around here, but I am not a real social person so a little of that goes a long way...usually they are just talking about other people. When I get stronger I am dreaming of getting a place of my own again.  it is a big motivator for me.  But for right now all I am trying to concentrate on is not smoking for this moment.  Wow, that addiction can sure play games with your mind...sneaky clever thing...being aware of it helps a lot rather than just believing the bunk it is telling you.

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Good for you on ALL counts.  Quitting smoking will improve your breathing - not to where you never smoked, but it will give your lungs a needed break

Keep at it - getting stronger every day IS the goal (and not smoking goes without saying!)

0 Kudos
Giulia

Forty-three days is really good!  Now just aim for getting past you last 3 month milestone.  We have to keep aiming for things, set goals.  It really is a good psychological tool, I think.  Quitting will help slow down the disease, so you just keep at it.  Have you had some pulmonary rehab?  I'm assuming so.  If not, that might help you also.  So might some gentle exercising if you are able.  It really is a mood lifter.  There are lots of chair exercises one can do, even with oxygen.  Might help help relieve some of the stress.  The fact that you're stronger than you were is GOOD!  You might set yourself some goals in that department too, if you haven't.  Find those things you enjoy and pursue them with vigor! 

prissdoll

Yes, I have had rehab.  I do some yoga in my room along with some strength exercises....what I find helpful when I am anxious and really being bombarded with addictive thoughts is to do some marching in place!!!!!!!!!!! and drinking tons of water. I can tell some difference in my breathing even now and am able to go without oxygen sometimes.   Have to  really work at staying in the right now....like I read here I have to promise myself nothing except I am not smoking right now...so much valuable info on this site.

Giulia

Wow, good for you!  I don't know you if have a laptop or whether you're able to do any of the Leslie Sansone exercises (or have any interest), but join us in the Let's Get Moving Part 3‌  gang if it would help spur you on.  Even a little moving is better than no moving!  You sound like you're not willing to become a victim of this addiction nor COPD, and there are a lot of us fighters out there.  So - more power to you!

sweetplt

Ah Thank you for sharing your story...we are in this together...really congratulations on 43 days of Freedom...it does get better...I am glad from quitting you feel a bit stronger when you have so many issues from smoking...I hate all of this for you...but you are prissdoll doing the best for YOU...keeping that quit...come here often and we will give you help and/or with your story you will encourage many to quit...I wish I could give you a hug...so sending a cyber one...~ Colleen 355 DOF 

pastedImage_2.gif

constanceclum

I think there are a few of us here that feel like "we quit too late" but the reality is there is never a good day to smoke. I quit close to 4 months ago at 61 after smoking for 48 yrs-1&11/2 to 2 packs/day. It's still not easy but much easier than the 1st couple of months. I go to a gym to do light exercise and I really feel it helps me. I'm glad you're here, I feel we can keep each other motivated. I have advanced copd and use oxygen at night. I have a nodule that has grown in my lung and I will repeat the CT scan in Jan. I sometimes ask myself "Why bother" Then I realize it's because I want a better quality to my life.

Connie

Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex and congrats on 43 days of success.  That's quite an accomplishment and something to take pride in.  I quit at 68 after smoking for 50 years.  We have to believe it's never too late for our health and move forward.  Many on this site don't have support; that's were the ex comes in. Always remember, it's your quit, no one else's.   We're here to support you.  Just reach out if you need help.

Have you read about NML?  That's where you are now.  Understanding nicotine addiction and what to expect on this journey made all the difference for me this time.  Stay close.

Barb

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex/blog/2011/05/24/no-mans-land-days-30-to130-appr...