cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I send private messages on the site?

Jump to solution

There does not seem to be oh way to contact any Community member even though there is a directory. Also I tried to reply to a message a member sent me and it was returned undeliverable. This message was written about a month ago. Also I was shocked to see that it is posted on this site. I thought it was a private message. Is it no longer possible to send private messages? Or maybe I missed something. I have not been on this site for a while even though I'm smoke-free for almost 2 years now. Not one Puff. I haven't been positive enough to share on this site. But I am feeling better and would like to be a part of the community but it seems to have changed quite a bit. Is there a tutorial?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Gma_Bernie‌ Nope nothing has changed regarding Private Messages.

If you replied by email the message I believe needs to be under 7-14 days inorder for it to be posted to the site as a private message response. If the reply is older than that it will probably fail because the security token used to permit the response has expired. Logging into reply would be the only option if 7-14 days has passed. I'll see if I can find out how quickly the tokens expire.

Private messages are not public. They should be in your Inbox and not public for everyone to see. If you know how to do screenshots you can send it to communityadmin@becomeanex.org or you can send an email to me with the URL of the post you're talking about and I can take a look.

Sending Private Messages (aka Direct Messages):

If you're on a computer you go to their profile and click on Actions in right upper corner of user profile and then choose Send Direct Message.

Create-Private-Message.gif

Anywhere you see a user's username you can also hover over it and there will be a pop-up with a button to Message them. See the image below.

Create-Private-Message-2.gif

If you're on mobile the profile is simplified** unless you are in landscape mode (phone on side) and you might have to enable Desktop Mode in your web browser.  If you know the member's username you can click the pencil icon on the site and choose the Message icon as seen in the image below.

**There is no Actions > Send Direct Message option in the Portrait view on a mobile device.

Create-Private-Message-Mobile.gif

EX Community Admin Team

View solution in original post

2 Replies
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Gma_Bernie‌ Nope nothing has changed regarding Private Messages.

If you replied by email the message I believe needs to be under 7-14 days inorder for it to be posted to the site as a private message response. If the reply is older than that it will probably fail because the security token used to permit the response has expired. Logging into reply would be the only option if 7-14 days has passed. I'll see if I can find out how quickly the tokens expire.

Private messages are not public. They should be in your Inbox and not public for everyone to see. If you know how to do screenshots you can send it to communityadmin@becomeanex.org or you can send an email to me with the URL of the post you're talking about and I can take a look.

Sending Private Messages (aka Direct Messages):

If you're on a computer you go to their profile and click on Actions in right upper corner of user profile and then choose Send Direct Message.

Create-Private-Message.gif

Anywhere you see a user's username you can also hover over it and there will be a pop-up with a button to Message them. See the image below.

Create-Private-Message-2.gif

If you're on mobile the profile is simplified** unless you are in landscape mode (phone on side) and you might have to enable Desktop Mode in your web browser.  If you know the member's username you can click the pencil icon on the site and choose the Message icon as seen in the image below.

**There is no Actions > Send Direct Message option in the Portrait view on a mobile device.

Create-Private-Message-Mobile.gif

EX Community Admin Team
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Gma_Bernie‌  Were you looking for a tutorial for Private Messages or the site in general?

You can find help topics in Community Help‌  Just look for the pictures below:

pastedImage_2.png

And also check out  our Getting Started Guide by clicking the link.

There are also many questions asked on the site already in Community Help‌ so feel free to use magnifying glass in upper right and search a topic you're interested in. Chances are it's already answered. If not, feel free to ask it in Community Help‌ and I will answer it if one of the other helpful community members doesn't get to it first.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team