cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

leslieg6295

Crazy

I appreciate the support, but the hoops I feel like I have to jump through, just to get reimbursed for not smoking,  is crazy! I'm not the most technologically savvy person anyway. 

0 Kudos
14 Replies
YoungAtHeart

From where are you expecting reimbursement for not smoking?  I don't believe this site (or Mayo Clinic that sponsors it) participates in that kind of program - at least that I have ever heard.  I am tagging our administrator Mark‌ so he might respond.

If you would like help with education, preparation and planning to quit smoking, we ARE the place.  Let me know if I can help!

Nancy

0 Kudos
leslieg6295

I pay $40 per pay period as a smoker. I have been cigarette free since

February! For my employer, I must complete this forum in order to not pay

essentially $1200/year as a non smoker. That is what my reference to

reimbursement is regarding. Nothing to do with the Mayo Clinic or Ex.

Sorry for the confusion. It wont happen again.

On Wed, Nov 20, 2019, 9:15 PM Youngatheart.7.4.12 <

0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

leslieg6295 wrote:

I pay $40 per pay period as a smoker. I have been cigarette free since

February! For my employer, I must complete this forum in order to not pay

essentially $1200/year as a non smoker. That is what my reference to

reimbursement is regarding.  Nothing to do with the Mayo Clinic or Ex.

Sorry for the confusion. It wont happen again.

Congrats on quitting. That's wonderful. 

Smoking cessation programs are all unique and may have different requirements to fulfill them. The EX Program is offered by your employer/health plan provider has it's own set of requirements based on what we've found to be successful. Your employer/health plan provider may customize those program requirements based on our recommended list and may implement as surcharge until the program is completed.  The EX Program does require some effort, but it should be doable. If you're getting stuck, please let me know and I'd be glad to assist.  Please be aware that most members of the community are not sponsored by their employer and are here of their own free will.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
Sootie

Are you referencing using this site as proof of joining a smoking cessation program for your work place insurance? If so, you need to get in touch with our Administrator Mark. He can help you if you are having technology issues in doing that. I TOO am not technologically inclined.

May I add that when you quit smoking you will see "reimbursement" through the money you will save....cigs are EXPENSIVE!

Giulia

I'm not sure what "hoops" you're specifically referring to, but we all have to go through hoops to quit smoking.  We have to change certain behaviors, stop drinking for a while, or stop hanging out with our smoking buddies, or stop smoking on our back decks, favorite chairs.  Those are the hoops that we need to go through in order overcome this addiction.  We need to be uncomfortable for a while. 

For some of us the reimbursement for quitting is a whole lot more than what an insurance company or employer will give us back.  It's freedom from the slavery of this addiction.  It's the empowerment, the pride, the joy that we have listened to that Best of Us.  It's being able to go to bed knowing that we have conquered another quit day.  

You don't have to be technologically savvy to read blogs on here.  Is being connected to an online support community part of the requirements for your reimbursement?  What IS that reimbursement, by the way, I'm curious.  And by whom?  I was never afforded any reimbursement for quitting.  So I know zero about what's required.

It sounds to me - and please correct me if I'm wrong in this "take" - but it sounds like you're only here to fulfill the requirements of getting some reimbursement for quitting (which is fine.)  And not like you really want to be here because YOU yourself want to quit.  Am I mistaken in that?  It kind of sounds like a "have to" rather than a "want to."  And that makes a big difference in mindset and thus, ultimately, success in this endeavor.

leslieg6295

I thought this was a "community" of support. Not to bash someone in their

time of frustration. Sorry, I wont post any further. And like I have said, I quit in February of this year. Why should I pay $40 per pay period to smoke, when I am in fact, not smoking. 

0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

leslieg6295 wrote:

I thought this was a "community" of support. Not to bash someone in their

time of frustration. Sorry, I wont post any further. And like I have said, I quit in February of this year. Why should I pay $40 per pay period to smoke, when I am in fact, not smoking. 

I've met Giulia‌ first-hand and can assure you that she meant no ill intent. All three people who've replied have been around a while cheering people on in their quit journey. She's(and also the other's replying) not fully aware of the program (EX Program) you're completing to remove your tobacco surcharge(imposed by employer or health plan provider) as they quit or became a part of the site before the program existed

Let me know if you have any issues with getting the boxes checked in My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX  so you can get that surcharge removed per paycheck sooner than later.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
maryfreecig

Right. I knew nothing about this program. Now I do!

Giulia

I'm so sorry.  No harm meant.  I thought by saying:  "please correct me if I'm wrong in this "take""  that if I WERE wrong, you'd correct me.  I certainly didn't mean my comment to you to come across as "bashing."  And I really was curious as to the reimbursement end of things.  I was too pointed, I guess, in my comment and for that I apologize.  Obviously we're here to help, not to scare people off.  So please don't go away.  We really do care.  And congrats on your 9 month quit.  I didn't know you had quit in Feb. until I read your response here to Youngatheart.