Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

AnnaPaulette

Does it get easier with time

Only on day 3 here after decades of smoking. Does it get easier

7 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

Oh, my, YES, it gets easier!  The first three days are the most difficult (the nicotine is pretty much out of your system after three days if you aren't using an NRT); then the next two-three weeks is less so while your body adjusts to life without nicotine. then it becomes easier and easier as time passes.  You just have to get past that first month the best you can.

The important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. You can search for it online or at your local library. If you do nothing else to get ready for your quit, please do give this a read.

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go to the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmoking.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance. Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

0 Kudos
AnnaPaulette

Thank you Nancy I used to have Allen Carrs book downloaded I forgot all about him. I'll find him and start listening. 

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

Welcome to Ex. You get better! And that happens one day at a time. Congratulations on 3. You've made it work, so hang onto whatever is helping.

Ex is here for you 365. Keep reading, learning, feel free to blog whenever you feel like it or to comment. Blogs by exers just below: I hope you check them out. 

/blogs/Marilyn.H.July.14.14.-blog/2019/09/30/its-bound-to-take-time-to-relearn-life  by Marilyn

/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2019/08/05/give-this-the-time-it-takes by Nancy

Quitting Cigarettes Journal google blog-my story

Quitting Smoking is a Journey - YouTube  by Doc Evans

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

Yes, it does get easier.  It is doable if you are willing to not take a puff no matter what.  It takes time. 

Giulia

No.  It never gets better.  It stays hard the whole time.  The whole journey is fraught with intense cravings.  Just months and months and years and years of it.  It's endless agony.

And if you believe that, I've got some great swamp land to sell you.  Think about this next statement:  If it didn't get easier, none of us would have long-term quits.  If the amount and intensity, duration and frequency of cravings persisted as they do in the first few days or weeks or months - none of us would be able to overcome this addiction and live smoke free happily.  We're not all super beings.  But we are all beings who can be super.

These three blogs of mine may help you determine your own reality about this journey.

WHEN DOES IT GET EASY??????    and  https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/positive-affirmations-and-support/blog/2017/10/24/its-gonn...  and /blogs/Giulia-blog/2015/02/23/expectations-timelines-and-the-reality-you-create 

That you may have a craving or two throughout your life - yeah, it's possible.  I do.  But it's no big deal at this stage of my quit.  But I can assure you it won't be like it is now for you at day 3.  So you just hang in.  Ok?  We all just hung in until we broke through to that place of being happy about being quit. 

Sootie

Yes. As everyone has indicated......yes.

Not only does it get easier...it becomes a non issue.

However, it does not happen overnight. As you said....you had decades of smoking. so you need to give quitting a little bit of equal time.

But yes....it does.

You can do this....we all did and we are NO different from you.

Stay Strong.

done

I smoked a pack a day for thirty four years .Tomorrow is my ten year quit day ..and yes it does get easier with time hang with us