cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

bonnieherche

Sharing my story and asking for support

Hi Everyone -

I've been lurking on EX for a few days as i took the first step in freeing myself from a 21 year addiction to cigarettes and vaping. I'm ready to step out of the shadows, join the conversation and benefit from the support so generously shared on this site.

As Allen Carr would put it, my slavery to nicotine addiction began a story like many others. At 15 I tried my first cigarette with friends out behind our local mall, and while I don't remember this being at all a pleasurable experience, I sure felt cool! Over the next year I would find myself "practicing smoking" until, suddenly, before I even knew what had happened, I actually was a smoker. 

This was Act 1 of a 3 Act play. For the next 18 years I carelessly, guiltlessly and mindlessly smoked away till my heart was content (which it never was because by heart, i mean nicotine receptors, and they were always jonesing for another fix). By college I was easily smoking a pack a day, sometimes more if the day also included a night out (as it often did). When I graduated I worked in the music industry and all the cool people there smoked too, I made work friends and became part of the inner circle standing around the ashtray. 

In 2008, when I moved in with my now husband, he asked me to quit. He, a social smoker only, never understood the addiction aspect and though he was asking a simple fete. Me, newly in love and excited to be taking this next big step in our relationship begrudgingly agreed. As you can imagine, since it's clear I wasn't doing this for myself, this quit lasted all of like, 2 minutes. But it did begin what I consider my Act 2, in which 2 things happened:

• I was able to seriously cut back my consumption to just 2-3 cigarettes a day
  • As by now it was no longer cool to smoke, and none of my friends did anymore, I went deep into hiding, concealing my habit from everyone to the best that I possibly could. 

This Act lasted for another 8 years. Smoking cigarettes, for me, was self limiting. By this time in my life I left my partying ways in pursuit of a healthy life. I stopped eating meat, I became a fitness fanatic, I opted for natural and homeopathic whenever I could. Smoking wasn't "on-brand" for me anymore, and I didn't want anyone to know, so I only did it alone, at night, or when I could go through a vigorous routine of de-stinking myself before being around colleagues, friends or family. For many of those 8 years I could easily not have my first cigarette until 6pm, which gave me a false sense of control and the ability to tell myself "I'm not addicted, I just like smoking, this is a choice". I held on to this for nearly 7 of those 8 years, until I had a period of intense anxiety and panic attacks that sent my smoking spiraling, and my anxiety that it was going to kill me, along for the ride as well.

it was then, that a mental health professional suggested that I switch to vaping, an at the time seemingly less harmful practice. And so begrudgingly I began the search for a vape that would satisfy that sensation of smoking, finally settling on the shiny, buzzy JUUL, touted as the promising future for adult smokers. A transition I thought would take me months took me less than a week and for the next year and a half I really thought I was home free. I felt like a teen again, mindlessly, guiltlessly and carelessly puffing away on that thing. At first I  simply use it to replace my exact cigarette consumption, but the ease of use and constant availability sent my addiction skyrocketing. Before I knew it, and without any warning, I was smoking a pod a day, back up to the pack-a-day equivalent habit I had left so far in my past. My use became constant and excessive. I juuled in my work bathroom, while I folded my laundry, before and after my shower. I once juuled under a blanket on an airplane. I had stopped smoking in my car YEARS ago but with the juul it became one of my favorite places to smoke again. All my rules, all my limitations, thrown out the window. 

Then, this summer, it all came crashing down. Amid a public health crisis, a teen epidemic, bans and legislature, the panic came back. At first I refused to admit that I knew where it was coming from, I looked for every other possible excuse - stress at work, deaths in my family - but I couldn't hide from the truth. In my heart of hearts I knew that I had let my addiction snowball out of control, and if I didn't decide to stop, it would likely kill me. 

I spent the next few weeks doing what I always avoiding doing, looking at myself and my addiction from the outside in. What I saw alarmed me. I was avoiding places, people and activities I once enjoyed because I was scared I wouldn't be able to vape. I couldn't sit through an entire TV program, and barely a meal without saying I had to go to the bathroom to hit my vape. I had a panic attack on the way to a work outing at my boss's house because I didn't know how long I would be there and if I'm going to draw a line anywhere, it's vaping in the bathroom of my boss's house. I vaped constantly in my pristine home, within in a few feet of my dog whom I love and treat like a child. I looked at myself in shame, and shock, at what I had become.

At 12:45pm today, I crossed the 4 day mark since my last JUUL hit. These past 4 days have been some of the hardest, physically and emotionally, of my life. Even with a 21mg patch on the withdrawals were mind blowing, nothing like when I quit smoking cigarettes. For 3 days I felt like I was in hell. My anxiety was through the roof, I couldn't stop crying, I was shaking, freezing but sweating, couldn't concentrate, read a book, watch TV or even hold a conversation. Now on day 4 most of the physical withdrawal symptoms have resolved but the emotional ones are very raw. My anxiety is sky high, I'm battling wicked insomnia, and I'm constantly fighting that evil voice in my head that says "this would all be over if you just went out and bought another JUUL".

In a mere 2 years I went from JUULs biggest advocate to one of their biggest opponents. They have created a monster that no one knows how to contain. 

I know this was a very long post, and I really hope that some of you take the time to read, see a piece of yourself in me, and choose to embrace me while I face this very difficult journey. I would love to hear your stories, struggles, successes and failures to help me get through this very dark time. Thank you for listening from the bottom of my heart. 

Labels (1)
14 Replies
WhispersQSMB

I also made the lateral move from ciggs to blu at first to vaping , Juul/E-cigg is a beast. It's tougher to quit than smoking. This may not be the right place, but don't quit on quitting . Save this photo

maryfreecig

Welcome to Ex. Support is 365. Congratulations on starting your quit. And thanks for sharing the ups and downs of your nicotine addiction over the years. One day at a time you will grow in vapebriety.  Keep coming back. 

0 Kudos
bonnieherche

Thank you so much Mary! I have already been spending hours on this site looking for inspiration and similar stories so now that I made the leap to contribute, I plan to stay very involved! 

maryfreecig

Awesome!!!

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

Congratulations on your decision to quit nicotine and your first four difficult, successful days.  I'm glad you are here, and promise to support you in any way that I can.  . Because it is available to you most anywhere, anytime, I believe it might be more difficult from which to break free than tobacco products - but it CAN be done!

Nicotine addiction is nicotine addiction - no matter the delivery device - and how to beat any of them is about the same. Every time you read :"cigarette" in the information I will give you, just sub "Juul" or “vape,” or “device.” . You might find useful information, as well, here: https://truthinitiative.org/research-resources/quitting-smoking-vaping/quitting-e-cigarettes.

I recommend that you educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind To that end, I suggest Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” . Vaping was not a concern when this was written, so you will need to sub “vape”as necessary. This is an easy and entertaining read which can be found online or at your local library. If you do nothing else to get ready for your quit, please do give this a read. Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

The idea is to change up your routines so the vaping associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from where you vaped. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first puff with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to vape so the view is different. Take a different route when you are out and about so you aren't driving by your vaping supply shop. Take a quick walk at break time instead of vaping.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that vaping thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of vape if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want to vape" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

bonnieherche

Thank you for the warm welcome Nancy! I really appreciate it. I am already half way through Allen Carr's book and will be sure to use the additional tools and resources you recommend. I'm 4 days and 18 hours in right now and it's been really tough for me, and I'm assuming it is because I vaped in a way I could never smoke. I'm incredibly committed to this and know, each day, even when it seems really hard, it's actually a little easier than the day before. I'm really excited about my journey even through the sleepless nights, heightened anxiety, and depression sense something is missing. I just need to keep remembering how excited I am to be free. 

YoungAtHeart

To help with the sleeplessness, you might try the herbal supplement melatonin, or some warm milk (which produces it naturally).  Be sure to eliminate caffeine after about 3 PM - you are more susceptible to it when you quit nicotine.  Turn off electronics at least two hours before bedtime, and be sure your room is completely dark and cool.  If all else fails and you can take it, you might try a Benadryl which has a side effect of sleepiness.  Your body WILL adjust - but try to take naps as you can, too

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

Congrats on 4 days of freedom.  Education is the key to a successful quit. 

0 Kudos
sweetplt

Hi bonnieherche and Welcome to Ex’s

I read the entire post...it was interesting and yes quite similar and I can relate, except for the Vape part...I never Vaped...for me...I didn’t want to go from one addiction to another...and I was having so many health issues that I had to quit breathing smoke into my lungs...I cut down for a year and found this site...and I am now quit for 346 Days...Unfortunately, I hate all the withdrawal you are going through, but it is something we all need to do, in order to continue on this journey...keep busy...read here, pray, drink water, yell, shower, etc., it does get better, but it takes time.

Take care of YOU and make you and your quit priority one...Gotcha in my thoughts ~ Colleen 

0 Kudos