cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Knwoodruff

Patch make you sick after a week?

I've been successfully using the patch for a week straight now. And even successfully on my previous attempt. But the last few days I've started getting really sick in the morning right after I put it on. Super nauseous and dizzy. Brain fog. I didn't have any of these symptoms for the first bit but now they are almost overwhelming. I don't want to stop using the patch because it's working, but I cant take this much longer. The patches smell horrible. I smell horrible, and I'm not feeling like i'm overdosed on nicotine, just dizzy. I only wear the patch from about 9 am to 9 pm because I can't sleep with it on at all.

Tags (1)
8 Replies
sweetplt

A lot of your symptoms some feel when quitting smoking...however, it seems you are having it as soon as you put the patch on your arm...we are not medical people and I feel you should consult your Doctor...sounds like a reaction, a Doctor might suggest something other than patch....or perhaps you will need to go down in mg...keep us posted...~ Colleen 345 DOF 

DavidA555

I had a lot of trouble with patches on my last quit, dizzy, nausea, heart palpitations. So much it caused me to reduce the strength very quick. That helped but was still not a cure all. I ended up getting off the patches pretty quickly. It still took weeks for the heart palpitations to go away ! You could try a 14 mg patch an see if that helps, or get some lozenges an try those. I never used the lozenges, I know some people have used them for way to long ! 
 I think the problem is with the slow steady release of nicotine that were not used to, we were used to nicotine levels going up/ down all day as we smoked..... not a steady level without a break.  
Of course I am not a doctor, I"m just a nicotine addict, an telling you my experiences with the patches. They helped me quit smoking an get off the nicotine. That's the goal, once you can do that your body can get on with the healing process. 

Barbscloud

This is a difficult one.   Symptoms can be withdrawal symptoms or side effects from the patch.  Are you on the correct mg?  Maybe it's too much nicotine.   You could also check with the pharmacist. The only effects I had from patches were that they gave me nightmares if I wore them at night.   Hope things settle down for you.

Barb

Knwoodruff

Update: when I ran out of patches I ran to the nearest store to grab a box and grabbed a different brand- IMMEDIATE difference the following day. NO brain fog. No dizziness, no smell that makes me want to throw up when I open the packet. Additionally taking the patch off doesn’t feel like I’m taking off a layer of skin and it’s not nearly as red. The final two patches of the previous brand still haven’t fully faded in discoloration, but I’m thinking it’s either a brand thing or an expired batch because switching has honestly made a 100% difference.

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Glad to hear that is resolved for you.  Keep moving forward with your quit.

Barb

0 Kudos
Gwenivere

I stopped using brand nicotine patches.  Like Walgreens brand better, just have to cover them with duct tape to take a shower.  Don’t wear them at night because they do disrupt my sleep.  Our bodies aren’t used to the steady flow of nicotine as opposed tonwhenwe smoked.  I’m hoping to switch to lozenges only, not just cravings.  

Itvdoes sound like your patch might be too high.  Have to compare that to whT you smoked as far as mgs as a cigarette provides one.  You can call the help lines of the manufacturer and check with your doc.  

0 Kudos
Barbara145

Try eating before you put on the patch.

0 Kudos
constanceclum

I quit with patches, and even used 4mg nicotine lozenges that 1st week. A lot depends on how much you smoked. I smoked 1 & 1/2 packs/day. So I felt that was safe for me. All the symptoms you are having, I had and attributed them to nicotine withdrawal. Just don't give up on your quit. Try a milder patch or just use lozenges but know that no matter what, you are going to have withdrawal symptoms.

0 Kudos