cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

LMGeffert

How did you decide it was time?

I want to quit vaping, but for some reason, I just can’t commit yet. I haven’t tried quitting before. How did y’all (yes I’m from Texas) decide it was time?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
WhispersQSMB

When i couldn't laugh without choking. You have to have the right mindset to quit, you need to not want to vape instead of wanting to vape. 

sweetplt

I smoked cigarettes not vaped, however I don’t see a difference...I knew it was time when I was sick of this addiction and then looked back and saw how it was effecting my health...when I realized I was/am an addict...you coming here makes me know your time is coming and you want the quit...we are in this journey together....~ Colleen 345 DOF 

JACKIE1-25-15

I was tired of being tired , of being tired of slavery to smoking.  I felt stupid just performing the act of burning tobacco rolled up in paper dipped in toxins. Sucking in and blowing out smoke. It just did not make sense.  I was done and made up my mind that if I could go 24 hours without smoking I could go the long term and I did.  You can do it too with a commitment to yourself that you will not smoke no matter how you feel.  That you are willing to go through the withdrawal from the drug nicotine. It is doable. 

Thovis

One day I was thinking about how happy I am with my life.  I feel like I couldn't ask for anything more.  Then it occurred to me that I want it to last for a long time.  Not just live, but LIVE.  I felt like the only thing keeping me from enjoying my life for another 30 years was cigarettes.  You don't see 70 year old smokers out playing golf or walking nature trails.  

It all depends on how you want to look and feel when you get older.  That thought has kept me strong throughout.  

Cousin-Itt

It was a easy decision for me to Quit I suggest my way to no one. I wasn't even thinking about quitting

BUT when you wake up in the hospital hands tied to the bed on a ventilator and the first thing you hear is the doctor telling you he wasn't sure I would make it the first night. That's when everything hit me I decided to quit. After 2 weeks in the hospital I craved I wanted to smoke but I dug down and refused to let myself I wanted to live more than I wanted to smoke. No matter how much knowledge and advice you are given as Whispers stated you have to wantto not smoke more then wanting to smoke Please don't wait to quit my way

you can do this

Carl 1193 DOF

maryfreecig

It happened so fast, I'm not sure why. But I'll try to tease out what happened in 2013--age 54. Smoked 18-21 cigs a day at that particular time, though I'd smoked much more prior.  I'd made half hearted attempts to choose to quit, but all ended in nah, not right now. One September day, beautiful fall day, the question came around again--this time, I said yes I will try. I spent 2.5 weeks pulling a plan together--online info was vital to my doing this. I began to face the reality of my decision--sometimes I felt upset, but I kept looking for the next rung...the way up and out.

Even as quitting seemed daunting, I realized I'd never quit unless I followed through. I couldn't wait for my dependency to let me let go of cigarettes.

Why don't you stick around Ex for a while and read blogs, consider how you might build your own yes. Quitting has to happen on your say so. But listening to others stories might help you realize more deeply why it is you want to quit. That you have--otherwise you would not be here. 

Giulia

I was a smoker, not a vaper, but I doubt there's a whole lot of difference.  I knew it was time for a long time.  So, the rest of this answer probably won't speak to you, but it might to anyone else who reads it. 

What enabled me to stick with it - THIS time - was that I really didn't want another Day One.  REALLY!  A dear friend of mine had a vape thingy. He had smoked it long ago.  I was curious, because I had never seen one up close and personal.  He brought it and showed it to me and asked if I wanted to try it.  I almost jumped up from the table and fled the house.  Seriously.  It was instant fight or flight adrenaline hit.    All signals flashing red.  Why?  Because I was tempted.  In that one second I was actually tempted enough to maybe try it at that moment.  What saved me was a) I knew beyond a doubt that if I took one puff on that thing I would be addicted all over again and b)  I REALLY DIDN'T WANT ANOTHER DAY ONE.  

But in answer to your question - the moment I understood that smoking wasn't good for my body - was the moment I knew it was time to stop.  Probably from the first puff I ever took.  Because it made me dizzy and rather nauseous.  Your body does kind of tell you that inhaling certain things doesn't make it feel good.  Your body is also an amazing amazing mechanism that can combat the poisons that you put into it.  Until it no longer can, and then you end up with a vaping/smoking related disease.  And by then it's a little too late.  The quality of your life has already been impacted.  This is not to say that I DID stop, suspecting that smoking wasn't good for me.  I didn't until 13 years ago.  But I think honestly I've known from that first puff that it was time to not go further with it.

Shanag35c

I vaped for the last two years. My chest was hurting off and on and I was tired all the time. I was just over my vape being so important to my daily routine and I wanted freedom. Freedom from the device itself and freedom from all the negative health risks associated with it. I’m only day 3 if quitting but I feel proud I am overcoming the addiction. 

Giulia

You SHOULD feel proud.  Freedom is amazing.  Keep going!