cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

hope2020

Day 1 again

Day 1, I started to smoke at age of 16, I smoked till I was 26, then one day called turkey and quit because I was getting asthma and bronchitis. I didn’t do any patch/ gums or any medications. For 6 years I didn’t even have one cigarette.
6 years later I started to smoke again due to severe depression, illness and very painful divorce. I have tried to quit maybe dozens of times and this time for some reason I can’t quit. I am going to try today again. I am 39 and I really need to quit because smoking became my primary copying skill and it is very bad for me.

I have mindfulness therapy , meditation and deep breathing skills and using them. i made the list why I want to quit. I also have friends that smoke and I hang out with one of them everyday and she is like a sister to me. I don’t know how I will stop hanging out with her.

I am a very intelligent person who achieved many things in life and i helped people as part of my job. I don’t understand why I am failing on quitting this time. 
Can you please tell me how will I be able to quit this toxic habit for good ? 
I hope you can help 

thank you 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Cousin-Itt

Hi Hope   When I quit my best friend was a smoker we hung out together not everyday but several times a week. I asked him for his help and support I didn't ask him to quit smoking but I asked that he support and help me. He did just that, he would walk away when he was going to smoke, he wouldn't even smoke in his own car when I was with him While on the other hand I had a few acquaintances who knew I quit would offer a cigarette thinking it was funny but truth beknown it was sad as they were jealous that I could quit. What I am trying to say if she is your best friend almost like a sister She should be happy and glad to support you in anyway. Yet you know it still comes down to you as no one makes us smoke We are the one who lights the thing and draws the cr@p into our lungs. Keep using the things you know how to do. Heart and attitude   

You can do this  

Carl

sweetplt

Hi and Welcome to Ex’s hope2020 

I am so happy you found our site...We are addicts of nicotine, and we keep feeding the addiction...once we stop feeding it and realize all of it is lies...can we go further...it is a choice to quit and stay quit...it is hard, but it is doable...

May I suggest you read at My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX ... and read many of the blogs here about quitting and the addiction...keep close to the support site to get help and to encourage others in their journey...we are in this together...meditation/mindfulness and breathing exercises will help you tremendously...just let us know what you need...Happy Monday...and Happy Day 1...make it Day Won...~ Colleen 343 DOF 

0 Kudos