cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connect with others living with health conditions

How to Live with COPD - International COPD Awareness Month

If you have smoked more than 100 Sickerettes (who of us hasn't, right?) then please take the Month of November to ask your General Practitioner for a Spirometry Test. It's an easy noninvasive affordable breathing test not unlike a BAC alcohol breath test that can indicate COPD and a need for further testing! 

One Half of us who have a history of smoking has COPD but don't know it. Ask yourself what if it's me? Early diagnosis allows you to lead a normal lifestyle with only a few changes (like N.O.P.E. of course!) You will be treated with meds that can prevent further worsening of your condition and given lifestyle suggestions that will improve your quality of life. 

COPD is an umbrella term for  a combination of obstructive lung diseases such as but not limited to chronic bronchitis and emphysema. Knowing your particular type of COPD will empower you to advocate for yourself and - yes, you will need to be a strong advocate!

/blogs/Thomas3.20.2010-blog/2015/10/28/good-and-bad-news 

Please, get a simple test and if you do not have COPD - Hooray! If you do, you can find more info here COPD‌. Come share with us!

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
2 Replies
sweetplt

Great post Thomas...I have one in December with my Pulmonologist...he does the Spiro once a year...~ Colleen 334 DOF 

0 Kudos
WEWIN

Nice comprehensive summary Thomas.  Your points about 'combination of obstructive lung disease' and suggestion for a spirometry test are helpful.  I had such a test years ago and was prescribed two kinds of inhalers,  a green one and a red one. I am uncertain as to whether they are helpful. Thanks for your suggestion. I'll schedule with a pulmonologist for a retake. Meanwhile I entertain shortness of breath but am in denial of being labeled with the COPD  term. 

Thanks again for the discussion.

Blessings

0 Kudos