cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

redluvr

How I got rid of my cigarettes

Prior to the day I smoked my final cigarette (10/25/19) I'd been tracking my smoking via a smartphone app. I couldn't help but notice I'd cut down from ~20/day to fewer than 4 in less than a week. There seemed to be a momentum in my behavior that only a fool wouldn't seize upon. So, Friday evening while driving home from work, I had the spontaneous realization that it had to be now. This was my best chance to quit, and I loved the idea that I'd had my final cigarette earlier that day when I didnt even know it would be the last   
I didn't tell anyone for a while because I didn't want to feel stupid if I failed, but I didnt fail. I finally said it out loud to my girlfriend two days later on Sunday evening.  She actually works for a counseling center that specializes in addiction, and her professionalism kicked in immediately; after congratulating me, she asked if I'd gotten rid of the cigarettes as well as all lighters and ashtrays. I replied that I had tossed the ashtray and lighters, but for some reason, wasn't ready to part with the cigarettes just yet. 
The next few days had me lost in thought and trying to process what exactly I was going through. I didn't feel good and experienced many of the classic withdrawal symptoms, but I was also never seriously tempted to smoke. Some part of me realized that Id likely feel worse than I already did were I to cave. Also, still having the cigarettes in my possession —yet not smoking them— made me feel empowered in an odd sort of way. I kept thinking to myself, "I don't smoke anymore," "that ship has sailed," and "it's out of my hands." That's when it hit me: This felt like the death of a friend and it was really grief I was experiencing ...I could be upset all I wanted, but a thing that dies is gone forever and can never be brought back.  
I honestly think that’s why the idea of discarding my remaining cigarettes in the nearest trashcan never felt right. This was something that had been a part of my life for so long. I felt like it would be a missed opportunity NOT get rid of them in way that was meaningful and might help me resist the urge to smoke again (were I to ever experience that temptation in the future). The problem was that I didn’t yet know how to do it. Eventually, I remembered a conversation with a friend from several years back.
Ashley and I had been out most of the day on a bicycle ride and decided to stop for a little break. We wound up pulling off the road near a boat ramp just off the Ohio river. This little rest turned into what would later feel like a very important moment in my life. She told me that she’d finally given up smoking and that it felt like a major accomplishment. I congratulated her, but couldn’t really relate to how happy she was or the significance of what she'd managed to do at that time.
Fast forward approximately 7 years... I had stopped smoking for an entire week, but couldn’t think of a proper way to toss what I had left —then I remembered my friend and our conversation. So, on Friday, November 1, 2019, I drove to that same boat ramp where Ashley had told me about her victory, and, with Elton John’s “Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding” running through my mind nonstop, I ceremoniously tossed the remainder of my cigarettes into the Ohio river.
Any time I experience a craving or otherwise feel tempted to resume smoking for whatever reason, my mind returns to that moment when I purposely laid my dead friend to rest upon the water. That which dies cannot be brought back, ever. 

12 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Wonderful and poignant story!  Thank you for sharing.

(it was worth the wait!)

Roj

It really is like losing a friend...a killer friend but one we have stupidly depended on for years...congrats for being a non smoker and burying them in their watery grave

Barbscloud

Big congrats on your decision to be a non-smoker.  I love the symbolism and the ceremony of ending your connection with cigarettes.  It's a memorial to the old and the beginning of your new life.

Barb

Sootie

GREAT STORY! Welcome to the journey......we all come to it in different ways.

Giulia

Making such a ceremony of it helps seal the commitment.  Love the story.  So glad you DID throw them into the Ohio!  It's also a pretty strong and wonderful visual memory to hang onto.  Have you told Ashley?  

redluvr

I've only told those who I knew would congratulate me and be supportive, and only in face-to-face conversations. I find it's much easier to say what I really mean (and really mean what I saw) when I can look someone in the eyes. Ashley got married and moved out of state a few years back, but I'll definitely say if I see her again. 

0 Kudos
Giulia

I would think she would feel kind of wonderful knowing that she helped you in this endeavor.

Swanbird

Thanks for sharing this.  It really makes me think we are a lot alike.  I feel some of the same things you do and you did.  Wish me luck I’m going to try again... won’t say when but you’ll know cause I’ll be pleading for support!

redluvr

I happened to be at a gas station I frequent early last week and overheard the conversation between the guy in front of me in line and the cashier. She said something about going through 5 packs of gum in one day. When it was my turn I couldn't resist asking why so much gum. It turns out she had recently quit smoking (just like me) and was having a rough time. I told her I'd also recently quit and also about the 1-800-quit-now hotline. I saw her again today and asked how it was going with the "gum consumption."

My little follow-up question resulted in a 15-minute conversation and a new friend —I found a quit buddy today! We exchanged telephone numbers and promised to text one another if either needed to be talked down off a ledge. If you ever need support, Swanbird, please don't hesitate to reach out.