cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
avian3

Precaution to anyone considering buying an African Grey

I am always cautious with my language around children but sometimes forget I have an African Grey, the best mimic of all the birds. It was only three days ago when the birds would get a bit noisy and I would tell them, "if they don't calm down, I am going to smack your butt" which I never touch them in that way ever. It didn't take long and all I have been hearing all day from my Grey is "if you don't calm down, I'm going to smack your butt" He has an extensive vocabulary but seems to pick up on his favorites, After the lights go out at night he likes to whistle the first few bars of " Strangers in the Night"

So if you want bird that is generally quiet, not squawking, but does like to talk a lot, then the African Grey is for you

Tags (1)
20 Replies
sweetplt

marciem

indingrl

Lol thanks for sharing 

YoungAtHeart

index.jpg

.."if you don't calm down..."

avian3

LOL!!   It's hard to find a butt on a bird.

0 Kudos
Mandolinrain

My dearest friend has an african gray and Im actually doing a painting of her and 'Poe' for a gift. I will post the pic later date. Poe hates everyone but her, lol. He makes this horrible loud squak if anyone else comes near his cage. He sorta scares me but YES he has a very extensive vocabulary. Can you tell me if they all have red on end of their tail? I didn't think hers does and I cant recall. Om painting it with red though cause all the pics show it that way, I just really never noticed it on Poe.

She had 2 Amazons at one time and they were very sweet and friendly. Well one was anyway more so than the other but they would stand on my arm and craw up to my shoulder.

0 Kudos
avian3

I look forward to seeing that! I know you are an extremely talented artist.

They are usually a one person bird and mine will make a sound of fear that sounds like a growl if a new person approaches him. And the voice they mimic is usually just the one person. Mine has the voice of what I remember my grandmother sounded like and she died before my dad got him. Sure enough I now sound like my grandmother, without the Oklahoma accent.

Is Poe a Congo Grey or a Timneh Grey? Congos have the brighter tails. Timneh's are a bit smaller and are a bit less nervous than the Congo. They both have the same mimic abilities. I have a Timneh. I believe the Timneh is a little darker gray but the red is not quite as bright. You would have to find out which Grey it is and then compare photos of both.

Mandolinrain

Im going over to my friends house this coming Wednesday to paint with her, so I will take a picture of Poe and post it later this week for you  Im still not sure which he is....

avian3

Here is one photo where only the old growth is pink while the new growth is black. Eventually the pink seems to break off.

And this seems to be all black but it's difficult to tell underwater'