cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

rutlandvt

Damn Doctors

I've been taking some Chantix and have not smoked for 19 days.   But my meds are running out.   Turns out my doctor gave me a one month supply instead of three like I asked for.   You would think that the doctor would be more helpful in my efforts to improve my health by quitting.   I put my bulldog  (the wife)  on the job today of calling my doctor and demanding more meds.   But I've been researching herbal aids toward the battle.   St Johns Wort is supposed to help, as is lobelia.   However lobelia is not available.    Are there any other herbal meds that will help my fight this demon?   Candy and carrots and straws are fine placebos, but I think I need more.  I am committed this time to NOPE NOPE NOPE!!!

15 Replies
indingrl

CONGRATS 19 NON SMOKER DAYS - YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO - WAY TO GO- GOOD JOB!!!!!!!! Thanks for SHARING YOUR experience strength and HOPE - HearingOtgerPeopleExperience - H.O.P.E.- SUGGESTION -  How about COLD turkey quit - YOUR CHOICE - 1 month meds done - continue YOUR carrots and celery abd TRY - to suck on a lemon - when a crave hits and BAM - 3 DAY NICOTINE COMPLETELY OUT OF BODY PHYSICALLY - TADAH - then YOU get to get a NEW MINDSET of YOUR learning NEW ways of coping with YOUR insides handling life on lifes terms - day by day  - the battle of YOUR MIND -  YOUR WILL and YOUR EMOTIONS - ONE day at a time - of course - please take what HELPS and let go of the rest - to be HELPFUL is MY only aim - thank you - I PERSONALLY had to get on MY knees and pray to MY Lord Jesus - I got down to 2-3 death sticks a day and would buy ANOTHER pack trying to quit on MY OWN for YEARS - off and on - I tried the gum and patches and going to seminars hearing RECOVERING NICOTINE ADDICTS tell HOW they quit sucking on death sticks  - I ALWAYS failed - then I got sick and tired .- of being sick and tired -  so I fell to MY knees and said - Dear Jesus -  if YOU dont take these cigs from ME I will smoke them until I drop dead in Jesus name amen -  I woke up January 6 , 2011 - COLD TURKEY quit and I was coming here - to this site since OCTOBER 2010!!!!! Reading the blogs and had picked a QUIT date - blah blah blah -  That's what worked for ME - YOUR CHOICE - just a SUGGESTION - gentle hug 

YoungAtHeart

If the Chantix is working for you, I would stick with that if you can.  It was probably more an oversight by the doctor than intentional.  Although - with the possible side effects, perhaps they just wanted to be sure you could take it before having you with 90 days of it!.

sweetplt

I agree with YoungAtHeart if Chantix is working stick with it...I donot know any herbal methods that help one quit smoking...You got this...Happy Friday ~ Colleen 340 DOF 

0 Kudos
avian3

Congratulations on 19 days. I am not familiar with Chantix but I would agree you should probably stick with it.

This is just my experience with my doctor but I find demanding something from them will get you nowhere. If you have an understanding doctor, you should be able to calmly explain the situation and tell them what you would like and they will more than likely grant your request.

Now as far as me telling my Chihuahua of a husband to demand something from my doctor........it just ain't gonna happen. He would remind me that have my own phone and I am perfectly able to use it.

constanceclum

Your Dr. probably gave you a 1 month supply to make sure you are tolerating it well. Your pharmacy will probably be happy to get the refills for you.

minihorses

OK I'll probably get bashed in backlash for this but I'll put it out there as a possibility to help you.  I used CBD oil as a quit aid when I needed it in tough times.  I use it to aid treatments of other physical ailments and found it helped with cravings as well.  That's just my story and I neither condone nor condemn the use of cannabinoids I just know what helped me.

Sootie

I've been hearing GREAT things about this oil................whatever works.

0 Kudos
Giulia

I spent $65 for a small bottle of CBD oil (from a very reputable pharmacy in town)  that you squirt under your tongue from a dropper.  Hoped it would relieve my thumb pain.  Did absolutely NOTHING.  For anything - neither pain nor stress nor sleeping.  No backlash, Julie, just my experience hoping it would relieve arthritis pain.  I'm glad it helped you.  And I so wish it had helped me.  My experience only.  It certainly has helped many people.  

Barbscloud

I had the same experience.  I was using it for my dog's arthritis.  After she died, I contacted the pharmacy about taking it for myself.  I finished her bottle and purchased a second.  I didn't notice any difference physically or mentally.  That doesn't mean it might not help someone else.  CBD oil doesn't contain THC.  There was an excellent article in AARP recently about seniors taking medical marijuana for various conditions, such as pain, and many people found it very helpful.