Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Pookweencess

Article: Why you crave cigs months after quitting

6 Replies
sweetplt

Great share Pookweencess Thank you...I hope today is better without craves like yesterday...Happy Wednesday ~ Colleen 338 DOF 

Barbscloud

Have you done any reading on nicotine receptors?  There are a number of posts on this site.

How long does it take before the cravings disappear?

After just a few days the need for a cigarette should get less. And for some people, it may have completely vanished after just two to four weeks.

But it takes, on average, about 12 weeks for the nicotine receptors in the brain to calm right down or 'switch off', so you need to plan for at least three months of concerted efforts to avoid smoking.

For some people cravings die down sooner while for others they remain for much longer.

0 Kudos
Pookweencess

This is why I am confused because I am almost to 4 months and expected a little more relief 

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

This article says on average 12 weeks - can be longer for some.   You're not far from that.   I totally understand it can be frustrating.   I'm sure I shared this already.  My quit was very emotional and at one year I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism (thyroid was normal in November)  which was also adding to my feeling down.  And the weight I continued to gain, everyone was contributing to quitting smoking.  So I was also blaming myself for gaining so much weight.   It was actually my 1 year anniversary when I got my blood test results with my diagnosis.  I went for a very long time not feeling better psychologically and not understanding why.   And don't forget, you have not only eliminated nicotine from your body, but a multitude of chemicals.   Are bodies are going to react.   There is so much that happens when we quit.  There are many things that are common and that can help us to know it's normal, but we're all different and may experience quitting in a different way.  It  really did get better, but I also had my doubts along the way.

Barb

marciem

I think that's a great find, Pookweencess‌ !

I always cringe a bit when I see the "three days and done" comments, about nicotine leaving and the physical cravings all gone.  That wasn't my experience, mine was more like the cravings got WORSE after all the nicotine was gone, my receptors started SCREAMING at me "feed me NOW, feed me NOW" for a while (day 4 was my memorable absolute worst), and they were physical gut-wrenching cravings, not "all in my head" habitual or psychological behaviors.  

This article clarifies this a bit.  I'm glad to see it.

But do know this.  It gets better, you will not always feel crappy and craving.  If that weren't true, I doubt any of us would be here.  I for one am not into self-punishment or flagellation.  I just had to have faith that none of my "elders" were either, and that it really did get better and easier.  Until it got really really easy, and way better than better! 

Barbscloud

Thanks, me too.  Then new quitters think they should be feeling better immediately.

Barb

0 Kudos