cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

drchili

Cold Turkey, Day 40

Hello,

The things I read online helped me when I was quitting, so I wanted to share how things went/are going for me.  I quit more or less cold turkey.  I went from 50+ pieces of nicotine gum to 1 piece a day for 2 days, and then 0 since.  The first 5 days are the worst.  After that, it gets pretty easy, though there are still some things to be wary of.  The thing that helped me the most was eating, exercise, sleeping and thinking about sunk costs.  Whenever I ate I stopped feeling a lot of the craving type withdrawal symptoms.  Exercise helped with the anxiety and stressed out feelings.  Exercise was also helpful because it made me tired.  I slept a lot the first few days.  I had read that the first 72 hours were the worst so I figured I would try to sleep through as much of that as possible.  That worked pretty well.  Thinking about sunk costs basically means that I thought if I chew more nicotine gum now, I will have gone through all this hassle and trouble and withdrawal symptoms for nothing.  I kept thinking to myself, just make it to 72 hours and it will get better.  Having a light at the end of the tunnel was a big help psychologically, and I can say for me it did get much easier and it didn't take all that long really.  For me, the symptoms were bad for about 5 days instead of 3 days, but that may have been because the first two days I chewed one piece of nicotine gum.  I don't think the weening process is the way to go.  Also, I quit coffee the first few days which helped by making me more tired, so I could sleep through the worst of the withdrawal symptoms.  I think it helped keep the jitters down as well.

About 10 days after I quit I would basically forget that I even quit - it had become fairly easy.  I think that I still have some more subtle symptoms.  I have been really active and have been achieving a lot of various things.  That sounds kind of weird but maybe I could say I just have a lot more motivation than I used to.  I also have more drive.  I have a strong desire to change my life, though that may be something else, and might be why I quit the nicotine gum anyway.  I have also had a deep depression and feeling more hopeless at times than I have in years.  This is not all the time, but it will come up from day to day where I just feel terrible, depression wise.  My concentration levels and ability to focus are kind of crappy.

I am pretty happy I quit, and it was a lot easier than I thought it would be.  I feel like I wish I would have quit years ago.  I would say I think quitting cold turkey is the way to do it.  I think if you try to ween yourself off of nicotine, all you are really doing is prolonging the agony of withdrawal.  I think if you can just get through say 3 to 7 days without any nicotine the withdrawal symptoms should ease up.

Good luck

7 Replies
indingrl

Welcome and CONGRATS 40 NON SMOKER DAYS

0 Kudos
MarilynH

Welcome to the community CONGRATULATIONS on your precious quit journey YAY for 40 splendiferous Days Of Freedom, YAY for Smokefree living and YAY for each and every Day WON, you are doing super fantastic with your awesome quit journey....

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex and congrats on your 40 days of success.  Thanks for sharing your journey.  Keep us posted.

Barb

0 Kudos
Strudel

Welcome and congrats on your quit. Be sure to stick around....this place can really make a huge difference! 

0 Kudos
drchili

Thanks for the kind words.  One other thing that helped was I drank a lot of water.  I feel like I am well in the clear, but that can be a dangerous mind set.  every now and then there is some weird lingering craving - not really physical or strong but more like why not?  it is I think important to remember how bad the withdrawal was the first few days remember I never want to go back to that again.  also good to remember it is never completely over, always be careful.

Good luck to all!

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

Feeling good is great, but build on that because the next step in smobriety after feeling completely comfortable is eternal vigilance. Life can throw curve balls, the more you build a strong foundation to your smobriety, the better off you will be. All happens just one day at a time, though!

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

Welcome to Ex and congratulations on your quit. Keep it coming!

0 Kudos