cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

How is quitting in 2 weeks better than quitting tomorrow?

I have just come to this site today in search of more information on the subject. I am 22 years old, been smoking/vaping for over 2 years. For reference: about 6-10 cigarettes per day and one JUUL pod (at work where I can't smoke). I have a few questions regarding what I have learned so far.

They do not suggest selecting "tomorrow" as your quitting day, because going cold turkey is hard. How exactly is setting a date two weeks out different than going cold turkey tomorrow? 

I do not wish to use medications or substitutes, should I be "weaning" myself off? Should I try the cold turkey method?

Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks!

Labels (1)
6 Replies
Barbscloud

Welcome and congrats on you decision to quit at such a young age.  You can prevent many of the medical conditions that smokers/vapers are experiencing.

It's not better.   Some quitters like to pick a quit date in the future and spend that time educating themselves about nicotine addiction and creating a quit plan leading up to that date.  Some people just quit when they run out of cigarettes/pods.  Some people have cut down in advance (I did that for a week).  Some people just say that's it, and quit now discarding any nicotine they still have.  With some medications to help quit (Welbutrin and Chantix) you take for a few weeks prior to quitting so it builds up in your body.  

Cold turkey isn't about when you quit (now or 2 weeks from now).  It's about not using NRT or medications.   That's a choice for you to make.  There are successful quitters hear that have done all of the above.

Education and preparation are helpful in being successful.  The support of this community has helped me a great deal.

We're here for you so you just need to reach out.

Barb

maryfreecig

In answer to your question tomorrow vs. two weeks. Very often when smokers choose to quit suddenly they are not prepared for the reality of the addiction. 

It isn't that you take two weeks to quit, it's that you educate yourself about the addiction and resources available to you, choose what you think will work for you, get a sense of when you want to quit, and make a start. This takes a little time. Find your quit zone by making the strongest commitment to stick to one day at a time, NOPE--no matter what aids and support you choose.

gregp136

For me, the date 2 weeks from now had a few advantages.  For sure part of it was education.  There is a ton of information here, and also support.  As you get to know people here, you are more open to coming here and sharing when you need support.  You can build up your support network before you need them.

Another reason, though, was anticipation.  This can go both ways.  For me, rather than it being something I was dreading, it was building the excitement of being smoke free and living a healthy, happy life.  It was like looking forward to Christmas, and my new cleaner lungs were the present I would be able to open.

Again, that was me.  You decide what is best for you.

indingrl

Welcome and thanks for sharing -  it is YOUR personal CHOICE - I tried EVERYTHING for YEARS and then -  I surrendered to MY Lord Jesus and was given a cold turkey quit January 6 2011 and I try to come here - every day to HELP -  the next suffering NICOTINE ADDICT to HOPE -  just like I was given- freely and it was  SUGGESTED - to educate MYSELF on MY NICOTINE ADDICTION only - and to read for MYSELF - all info here and reading the blogs - and to watch the EARLY death videos at whyquit.com - its FREE - please take what HELPS and let go of the rest - to be HELPFUL is MY only aim -  thank you - - TODAY - I am a RECOVERING NICOTINE ADDICT -  one MOMENT at a time - NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF EVER - SUGGESTIONS -  to blog everday - whatever YOU need to - venting blog - or sharing blog - or whatever YOU need to state to NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF EVER - to cope with YOUR inside heart issues - for ME - TODAY -  I need people -  I need NEW ideas - I need to be taught by others -  who are living a happy and  joy-filled - non smoker life style - ONE day at a time - TOGETHER in HIS love and service to encourage and love and support one another in MY Lord Jesus name amen - gentle hug

Sootie

First and most important CONGRATULATIONS on deciding to quit so young! You will never regret this and it is one of the best things you will ever do in your hopefully long life!

When to quit is your decision. Everyone has to make it for themselves. Everything on this site is just there for support and help from people who have quit and people who have studied the process.

I quit very suddenly one day. I can't say I would recommend it for everyone......but it worked for me. I DID however, read everything suggested on this site and kept on reading about addiction all during the beginning of my quit. The support on this site is absolutely the best and I know it was 95% the reason I made it.

Welcome to EX.....we are all here for each other.

elvan

I agree with those above who emphasize that preparation and education about this addiction really do help.  Having a plan for what you will do instead of smoking or vaping.  Understanding that this is an addiction is really important, it is much more powerful than we think it is until we quit.  I congratulate you on quitting while you are still so young, that is AMAZING and I agree that you will never regret it.  I came to this site every morning and every evening and I read blogs and commented and asked questions when I had them, when advice was offered, I paid attention.  I had many failed quits in the past, the biggest difference between those and this one was the support and education from EX.  

Congratulations on your decision and welcome to EX.

Ellen