cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

cfbays

Remembering Why - Pressing On

Today is the 8th day of my Quit and no it hasn't been easy, but it wasn't easy being a slave to my addiction. About 45 days ago I found out that I had a tumor in my parotid gland and would that I would need parotidectomy surgery to remove it. Although my doctor didn't tell my smoking caused the tumor I knew it most certainly didn't prevent it nor would it benefit my future health. For me, it was a big warning sign that I needed to stop being so careless with my life and that I needed to stop smoking. I immediately asked my doctor to prescribe something to help me stop smoking and he gave me bupropion. I took the pills for a little over 3 weeks while I continued to smoke. I kept saying to myself I wasn't quite ready. Every cigarette I lit up tasted horrible; the bupropion was doing its job. By now surgery was 6 days away and I was still puffing away. I realized I was playing a game with myself and If I was going to quit I needed to start. That day I threw away all my emergency packs as I smoked my last one. Since that day I haven't picked up one. N.O.P.E!  Some days it's harder than others.

My surgery was 3 days ago. I'm on the healing side and all the anxiety that I had leading up to the surgery is now gone. The surgery is behind me but that old addiction is right there saying, "hey everything is ok now, let's go have a smoke", but I don't answer that stupid ole addiction. I just keep remembering why I stopped in the first place then I keep pressing on. It's hard yes, but it was hard to be a slave to some tobacco wrapped in paper. I have to keep remembering. I have to keep pressing on. And when I wake up tomorrow I have to do it all over again. 

26 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

Congratulations on your decision to quit smoking, your successful surgery and your first 8 days.of success!  While you recuperate.I will give you some ammunition to fire at those addictive thoughts that are running through your mind!

The important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. You can search for it online or at your local library. If you do nothing else to get ready for your quit, please do give this a read.

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go to the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmoking.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance. Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...
The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

JACKIE1-25-15

Wishing you the very best in all of your recoveries.

Giulia

Yup, our twisted nicotine addict brain plays those "I'm better, let's smoke" games.  Or, "I've had my baby, now I can smoke again."  "Surgery's over, let's smoke!"  It's amazing how tenacious the excuses are.

Yes, it's hard.  But it DOES become easier and easier and easier.  If it didn't, none of us would have long-term quits.  You keep hanging in.  Ya hear?!  Hell week is over.  Rejoice!

elvan

Good for you, I used to quit when I was really sick and I always found myself at the highest risk when I felt better...my addiction would be right there telling me that I was alright and that smoking was not the problem...I gave in many times.  This LAST time was over 5 1/2 years ago and I was so sick that I knew my smoking days were over...unless I was ready to accept that my breathing days might be over.  Keep taking this one step at a time, one feeling at a time, you CAN do this!  Glad you are recovering from the surgery.

Ellen

cfbays

Encouraging words. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Sootie

Glad your surgery is over. Good for you for recognizing that's just your addiction speaking........you KNOW why you quit smoking. There's NEVER a bad time to quit nor is it ever a bad idea to quit. Be Strong.

cfbays

Thanks!

0 Kudos
indingrl

Congrats 8 days - EXCELLENT job taking care before and after surgery - WAY TO GO - NON SMOKER LIFE ONE DAY AT A TIME

cfbays

Thanks Indingrl!

0 Kudos