cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

sally2

liberation

I work at a grocery store, so i run into people i know alot. a friend of mine was doing some shopping and i offered to walk him to his car since i was taking a break any way and he said something like, "oh youre going to go have a smoke." and I turned around and shouted "nope because i dont smoke" it was sort of surreal. before we would have had a cigarette together but now i dont smoke and it is liberating to say no. i feel great because i know what it feels like to accomplish something that was so important for me to accomplish. so i wanted to hear more about these types of experiences, anyone else?
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
ctm

The first time I could stand outside with my former smoking buddies at work and tell them that I don't smoke anymore was liberating for me as well. I can talk to them without wanting to smoke at all.

I actually had a pack of cigarettes within about a foot of me for the first time in my quit this week. Didn't even consider wanting to smoke.

FREEDOM is the best Christmas present ever!!!
0 Kudos
edith2

Oh absolutely. Every time I say no, it feels good. I have other addictions that I quit doing and I say no to them too. Not a weak no or irritating no, just a firm, confident NO. Like when someone asks me if I have an extra cigarette, I tell them "I don't smoke." When I did smoke, I hated it when people tried to bum cigarettes off me. I remember thinking, "you can support your own habit!" When I smoked, no matter how broke I was, it seemed I always had money for cigarettes. That was a top priority with me. I'm so glad that not smoking is now my priority.
0 Kudos