cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Rotweiler2

I felt horrible for 2 1/2 months physically and mentally ... help

I quit smoking cold turkey 2 1/2 months ago.  My entire body felt like it was dipped into novocaine and I was aggravated, arguing with my wife constantly, being mean and overly sensitive. 

Starting Wellbutrin, almost 2 months in, helped a bit with the physical symptoms, but the aggravation would not stop. 

Three days ago I bought a pack and started smoking 4-5  cigarettes a day and besides the guilt, disappointment, and health worries ... I feel better. 

I don't want to smoke again, but I don't want to be so darn aggravated and on edge anymore either.  It's not a lack of self-discipline - these feelings were so powerful, overwhelming and horrible.  Plus the absolute exhaustion, despite sleeping 9-10 h a night... just not normal!

I quit before but never had these horrible side effects! I usually had so much energy that I had to go on long hikes every day and any physical symptoms stopped after 3 days ... this time is for some reason is the complete opposite.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thank you

23 Replies
marciem

I'm so sorry you felt so terrible!!  And sorry you tossed your quit.

My only advice would be to stay on the Wellbutrin and plan a new quit date (the sooner the better).  Most people I know who have used Wellbutrin as a quit-aid started it prior to quitting, and it did take the edge down for them.  So continue that per your doctors instructions and go at it again,  Maybe with a full load of it on board prior to quitting, you won't have those horrendous symptoms.

You will go through withdrawal again.  And mood swings, anger, rage, euphoria, tiredness/insomnia... those are all normal withdrawal symptoms.  Maybe the Wellbutrin can tone those down to the tolerable range for you... I really hope it does!

Quitting smoking is the best thing you can do for yourself and your loved ones.  Never give up on it, the rewards are worth the efforts and temporary bad feelings!

Gwenivere

I’m not familiar with Wellbutrin beyond what I have read.  I have an anxiety disorder and take other anti anxiety meds to control it.  My anxiety went bonkers when I quit.  Even with NRT's.  It baffles me that you would have such a different reaction.  I hope you have informed your doctor especially since you have a new med in your system.  I, too, read people feel less anxiety with quitting, but that has not been the case for me either.  So, you are not alone there.  I wish I did have some advice other than calling your doc.  It’s the only logical 1st thing I can think of.

Barbscloud

I used Welbutrin to quit. I had a very long emotional quit, but not what you're describing.  Withdrawal physically and emotionally is normal.   I wish I could help you more, but I think you should discuss with a professional.  Maybe something else is going on.  Please stay close and reach out so we can continue to support you with your quit.

Barb

Rotweiler2

Thank you both for caring and responding.

I went to the drug store today and got nicotine lozenges instead of cigarettes.  While I hate just replacing cigs with another method of nicotine delivery, it is better than smoking!  I’ll try to stay at 3-5 pieces of 1/2 lozenges (1mg) and hopefully some day soon I get over the memory of these quite terrifying feelings and I can quitt these pills too. It was like my personality changed and I am not ready for that again! 

JACKIE1-25-15

I am very sorry that this quit has been very difficult for you. I can imagine stopping something and starting it again can be aggravating in itself.  Are you following the directions for the medicine?  Are you drinking alcohol?  I use welbutrin and was successful with it.  I used it for 90 days it did take the edge off of the withdrawals but I still had to go through the agony of thinking about a cigarette.  I used self talk to get me through the hardest times.  I hope that you get started back and do not give up.  You have to be willing to do whatever is necessary not to smoke. Not by power, not by might but by the willingness to not ever take another puff. 

Barbscloud

There's nothing wrong with using NRT.  Many have been successful quitting using different methods.  It's what works for you. Please discuss the Welbutrin with the prescribing doctor though to make sure everything is ok.  Glad to hear you're no giving up in spite  of a rough beginning.  Big congrats on 2.5 months of success!

Barb

Roj

You know when I tried to quit a few years back I used chantix....it made me a raging bi**h and I swear my non smoking husband asked me to stop the med and smoke again, it was that bad...I was crazy!!!! Maybe the Wellbutrin is doing that to you? I now have copd so I quit cold turkey...almost a month for me and although I do find myself a little edgy I know I will never go back because it will just kill me faster....stay strong and stay quit...you got this!!!

Rotweiler2

Roj, thank you for sharing your experience.  I will try to find a better way to quit, without drugs if possible, following all the advise I can find here. Thanks again for caring

0 Kudos
elvan

I am so sorry that this has been such a nightmare for you.  I would have to wonder if there are some underlying psychological issues going on.  Did you prepare for your quit, educate yourself about nicotine addiction?  Stay close to a support site and read blogs, post frequently, stay connected to others who are at the same place as you are?  You have to commit not to smoke, no matter what, your quit has to be your number one priority, you have to guard it and protect it like the fragile infant that it is.

You CAN do this

Welcome to EX,

Ellen