cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

intervention

Big Tobacco

Interesting article from Tobacco Control folks about which countries are most manipulated by Big Tobacco:

How Countries Block Big Tobacco: No Meetings, No Gifts And Other Strategies : Goats and Soda : NPR 

I find it interesting that the UK is rated the best and the US is in the top ten worst in terms of resisting control from Big Tobacco. Makes sense to be in that the US is so supportive of Big Tobacco's efforts to diminish the ability of people to vape, while in England they promote vaping as a relatively safe way to quit smoking. Public Health England even hands out vaping products to medically indigent smokers and have hospitals that put in vape stores to help the patients quit smoking. Because they take the money and politics out of the debate they can then just rely on science. How else can we explain the completely different approaches by the different countries?

Labels (1)
10 Replies
YoungAtHeart

"Most of the U.S. companies that created them are now owned by Big Tobacco."

https://www.opensecrets.org/news/issues/e-cigarettes 

intervention

Simply not true. Vaping was invented by smokers for smokers, and the overwhelming majority don't come from tobacco companies. Their market share comes from the gas station kind of ecigs, not what most people use. 

If you look at congressional testimony you will see that Reynolds bitterly opposes ecigs, except, of course, the t;ype and kind that they sell. 

0 Kudos
Exvape

intervention

Vaping is just as bad for your heart as smoking cigarettes as researchers warn e-cigarettes are NOT safer than tobacco

Since this thread was blocked I will put my two cents in here.....

The article has been totally refuted (e.g. The Rest of the Story: Tobacco and Alcohol News Analysis and Commentary )  At most it proves that mice shouldn't vape.

When studies seem to conflict you have to go with the preponderance of evidence. In this case the overwhelming research continues to show that vaping is a relatively safe, evidence-based tool for smoking cessation. Not the best tool...not the only tool....but one that works for millions of smokers who can't seem to quit any other way. I am happy for all smokers who quit, regardless of how they do it. 

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

It's unblocked now!  I'm not supporting vaping, but I also presented the article about England using vaping to quit smoking.   Of course it wasn't well received.

Barb

0 Kudos
quit4eva

It got blocked because this site has thin skin people that report people when they are actually the problem. I was marked with a personal attack comment([personal attack removed]). I've seen my share at the Q and the mod has to do his job. [unnecessary comment removed] 

Edited by Mark‌: For Personal attack and unnecessary dismissive comments. Please see the BecomeAnEX Community Guidelines‌ to ensure you're posting within the guidelines.

0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

quit4eva wrote:

It got blocked because this site has thin skin people that report people when they are actually the problem.

EX is comprised of people of all different kinds of skin types. We celebrate everyone no matter their race, gender, age, orientation, spiritual preferences, marital status, parental status, employment status, etc. Your comment(s) were edited in another thread because they broke the community rules but were never reported by any other member of the community. Whenever an issue arises in a topic I do a complete evaluation of all the posts in the thread and edit any posts that go against the standards of our community. Calling people names is prohibited. Your post above also was edited both for a personal attack.

quit4eva wrote:

I was marked with a personal attack comment([personal attack removed]). 

This post above was also not reported by any member of the community but I noticed it and have edited out the unnecessary personal attack.

quit4eva wrote:

I've seen my share at the Q and the mod has to do his job.

It's sad when people attack others. Yes, moderation is a necessary task but hopefully members abide by the guidelines they agreed to when they join an online community. Moderators and community managers do not enjoy resolving disputes and personal attacks. It's the least pleasureable part of our roles, we'd rather contribute energy to helpful activities. Communities who do not have guidelines and attentive moderators do not tend to thrive. The times I have been on QuitNet, the staff seemed attentive.

quit4eva wrote:

[unnecessary comment removed] 

I reported it. It's my job. Frankly, I would love not to have to moderate anything but it happens on online communities and it comes with the territory. I'm here to protect all members of the EX Community no matter when you joined us.

EX is intended to be a safe place for all people to get the support they need to quit and maintain their quit, so we ENCOURAGE you to report things whenever you feel content is posted that does not facilitate a healthy supportive environment. While I read a lot on the site I don't catch everything and so I need the members of the community to look out for each other and be my extra set of eyes. Whether the post is pointed at you, another member of the community or just feels off in general, we'd love to take a look and made a determination. Sometimes we confirm it's abuse and other times it's not. Whatever the case, I keep all abuse reports anonymous. I gladly will provide reasoning for any content that is determined not be abuse at the member's request.

If questionable content is posted on the community that breaks the site rules or attacks a member of the community it should be reported. It will be reviewed by myself and possibly other members of our staff and we'll determine if it is prohibited content. The prohibited content will be removed and the permitted content will remain intact. 

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos