cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

noknowing

How to re quit

Jump to solution

Hey guys- I had almost 18 months and relapsed. I’ve been smoking now for a week and a day- it’s not even half what it was before but I know it’s getting there. Feeling super defeated and could use some support!! How do I set a quit date when I don’t want to at all but I don’t want to become what I was. 

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GyorgyiM

Here is a wonderful inspirational quote that is a great reminder to Make your reasons better than your excuses! This is a perfect quote to place somewhere that you will see every day. Dimensions: This

Miles of Smiles,

Gyorgyi

View solution in original post

14 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

You don't have to want to quit; you have to be WILLING to quit!  A lot of folks have found that educating themselves on nicotine addiction goes a long way to helping them make that decision.

To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. You can search for it online or at your local library. If you do nothing else to get ready for your quit, please do give this a read.

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go to the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmoking.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance. Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

After you have completed the recommended reading, it will be time to make an informed choice of the quit aid, if any, you will use. If you go that route, I personally recommend the aids that don't let the addict control the dose such as the available prescription drugs or the patch. If used properly, gum, lozenges and inhalers are fine, but they need to be used only as a last resort after you have tried to delay and distract.   I have seen folks become addicted to them if they substitute them for every cigarette they used to smoke - just trading one addiction for another.  You need to start out with a plan to reduce use of them over time - which the patch does by decreasing the dose contained in them..  For the gum, you can start by cutting each piece in half, then in quarters, then sub regular gum of the same flavor in between, adding more and more regular gum.  For the lozenge, you need to start subbing a mint in between to begin, increasing the number of them over time. I do not recommend the e-cigarette for four reasons: 1) the vapor has been compared to the polluted air in Bejing on a bad day, 2) they just provide another nicotine delivery system while continuing the hand to mouth smoking motion,  3) the batteries can spontaneously catch on fire and 4) you can become addicted to that and it has not yet been proven safe .

It will be informative if you do the tracking and separation exercises recommended here on the site. As you track each cigarette smoked, note its importance, and what you might do instead. Put each one off just a little to prove that you don't NEED a cigarette just because you think you do.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...
The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

gregp136

Support makes all the difference.  Set the date, come here often, and do this!

sweetplt

Hello and WElcome to Ex’s...noknowing 

I am sorry you lost your quit...but it is only a couple of weeks...get back in the journey sooner than later...

Smoking and Quitting are chooses...however, I think it is important to figure why you smoked? and What you could have done instead of smoking in that particular situation?  Then, I suggest you read at My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX and make the quit work for you...also, keep close to the support site and encourage others on this journey and to get help...Many of us have lost quits, don’t beat yourself up...but the sooner you get back in the quit, the better...we are here for you...~ Colleen 322 DOF 

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

noknowing

Sorry to hear you relapsed.  Do you have any thoughts now.  Thinking about a new quit date?  You were quit for 18 months.  What benefits did you get out of being quit that long? Feeling defeated stinks but you're strong. You made it happen before and can do it again.  

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
Barbscloud

Sorry to hear that, especially since we're both close with our quits.   Do you know what happened?   I'm sure you're feeling pretty disappointed with yourself (I know I would), but don't let that keep your from moving forward.  18 months without smoking is a success and you certainly learned things a lot along the way that you can use again to be successful. One of the things you should have learned is to stay close to the site and reach out for help before you smoke!  I heard someone say once about an addiction--I want to quit, but I don't have the desire to quit.  I think that sums it up for most us when we're at this stage.  It's work.   It's so easy to just bury this and let it go on until something else happens to motivate us again.  You came to this site for a reason to admit this--because your really do want to quit?  Don't wait until you "have" to quit because of a health issue. I'm sure not saying it's easy and I'm sure most of use have issues we'd like to "fix".  I have my own.    One thing you do have in your favor is a large group of people who support you and feel that your success is ours  So, get back on board.  It hasn't changed--it's still only one day a time.

Barb

constanceclum

I think half the battle of quitting is over thinking it. We make it complicated. I'm not sure if you used this site with your previous quit, but EX makes it so much easier. EX recommends you set a quit date in about 2 weeks. Use that period to prepare. You can educate yourself right here about addiction and quitting. Use this time to educate yourself with med or NRT's and get your toolbox ready. Clean out your house and car and get rid of all smoking related materials. Come here daily to read blogs and comments. And blog yourself as much as you need to to get the support, encouragment, and advice that you need. We will be here for you!

Connie

AnnetteMM

You gave yourself permission to smoke.

Now do the opposite of that, and give yourself freedom from nicotine.

Never give yourself permission to smoke ever again.

maryfreecig

We just had a blog discussion on quit dates a few days ago. If you don't want to set a quit date, think outside of the box such as setting a quit time that might mean soon--or very soon. After all, you have more experience not smoking than you do smoking right now. You wouldn't be here if you didn't realize that your decision was a mistake. Be brave, grab onto what you know to be true: smoking doesn't work. With every puff you take you are retraining your addict brain to grow and grow. You can quit. Bad decisions happen. Accept and return to your quit on your say so. Backing out of a bad decision can be humbling, but it's far better than retraining the addiction.

Yes you can.

GyorgyiM

Here is a wonderful inspirational quote that is a great reminder to Make your reasons better than your excuses! This is a perfect quote to place somewhere that you will see every day. Dimensions: This

Miles of Smiles,

Gyorgyi