cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Lizluv87

What are you're side effects that you are experiencing on Chantix?

Hello everyone! I'm new here and just been having rough time in general. It's my 6th day without smoking so far. I've been on the Chantix 28 days now and there is some pros but yet CONS .  I've notice I have been losing my temper so quickly now. Also insomnia ,headaches, dizziness, urinating alot, extreme racing thoughts,heart throbbing, paranoia, vivid dreams , tight chest ,etc. I know you're suppose to experience new changes when quitting smoking. Just feels like I'm losing my mind! Any one experience this or worse?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
Barbscloud

First of all welcome to the Ex and congrats on 6 days smoke free.  Some of what you'e describing can be Chantix side effects or withdrawal symptoms.  Chantix should lessen your withdrawal, but not eliminate it completely,  Have you read the prescribing information that came with the medication?  It will address the side effects. Every aid to quit may not be good for everyone.  I had to stop it because of GI issues many years ago.   That seems like a lot of symptoms to me, but we're not medical personnel and should not give medical advice.    Just to be on the safe side, I would encourage you to check with the prescribing doctor to make sure if you should continue taking it.    Please let us know how you're doing.

Barb

Gwenivere

I was just going to echo Barbscloud.  Many if the symptoms you cited are nic withdrawl but some could definitely be the medication.  Best to call your doctor especially after 28 days.  Heart throbbing and a tight chest is always a go to sign for medical help.  

pmt

WELCOME, I am on Chantix.  Was dealing with depression and trouble sleeping, too much depression.  My dose was 1 mg / a.m.  and 1/2 mg / pm.  It was too much for me.   Currently I have been taking 1/2 mg a.m. and that is all.  Big difference for me.  Talk to your DR.      I am 25 days into my quit, still have the occasional craves and desires, but my desire to be smoke free and feel healthier is STRONGER!

Keep in touch with this group it is very very helpful and supportive.

pmt

Lizluv87

Yes I noticed the difference of taking half of 1mg at night. Better!

0 Kudos
Samanthaeve

hi!

were you cutting the 1 mg in half or did you have a 0.5 pill?

0 Kudos
Lizluv87

Thanks!

0 Kudos
minihorses

I've notice I have been losing my temper so quickly now. Also insomnia ,headaches, dizziness, urinating alot, extreme racing thoughts,heart throbbing, paranoia, vivid dreams , tight chest ,etc. I

All I can say is yep.  I quit with Chantix too. Most of the CONS you listed stem more from the withdrawals of nicotine and not from the Chantix. The urinating, paranoia and vivid dreams are known side effects of Chantix.  Everything else is the nicodemon fighting to get that drug into again.  Fight that bad boy with everything you've got because you can and will kick his behind out of your life.  If you feel you can continue with Chantix for a while then I would.  I took it for the month where I smoked but was getting the benefit of being able to cut down some. Then I used it for about 1 1/2 months after I quit so that I could fight the withdrawals without being so tempted to smoke because I really didn't wan't a cigarette due to the way Chantix.was helping.  I hope this helps.  Congrats on your quit!

Julie

Lizluv87

Thought it was more of the pill giving me all the negative signs. Withdrawal sure is a *****/  Thanks!

Barbscloud

Chantix (varenicline) is a partial agonist selective for a4ß2 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor subtypes used for cessation of smoking. Common side effects of Chantix include

• nausea (may persist for several months),
  • stomach pain,
  • indigestion,
  • constipation,
  • gas,
  • vomiting,
  • headaches,
  • weakness,
  • tiredness,
  • unusual dreams,
  • sleep problems (insomnia),
  • headache, dry mouth, or
  • unpleasant taste in your mouth.
  • home drugs a-z list Chantix(Varenicline) side effects drug center

Chantix Side Effects Center

Find Lowest Prices on

Pharmacy Author: Omudhome Ogbru, PharmD
    Medical Editor: Melissa Conrad Stöppler, MD

Last reviewed on RxList 2/25/2019

Chantix (varenicline) is a partial agonist selective for a4ß2 nicotinic acetylcholine receptor subtypes used for cessation of smoking. Common side effects of Chantix include

Stop using varenicline and call your doctor at once if you have:

• a seizure (convulsions);
    • thoughts about suicide or hurting yourself;
    • strange dreams, sleepwalking, trouble sleeping;
    • new or worsening mental health problems--mood or behavior changes, depression, agitation, hostility, aggression;
    • heart attack symptoms--chest pain or pressure, pain spreading to your jaw or shoulder, nausea, sweating; o
    • stroke symptoms--sudden numbness or weakness (especially on one side of the body), slurred speech, problems with vision or balance.