cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Natedagreat

How can i stop doing sumthing that your use to doing on the regular

I smoke after every thing when in board when in the bathroom when I finish eating how can I break these habbits

Tags (1)
10 Replies
YoungAtHeart

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from where you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit. Get right up after you eat - clear the dishes, or take a walk.   If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.  The better you get at changing up your routines, the easier this is going to be.

Nancy

Exvape

Read Alan Carr’s book - Easy Way to Stop  smoking - helped me big time.

The first week is hard and then it gets easier...at least for me it got easier.

just take it one day at a time.

read the book.

best of luck!

Sammy838

Halfway thru the book now and doing good he has a completely diffent approach to how to quit which matches with me perfectly no crutch or like he says its like putting on to small of a shoe just to get satisfaction from taking them off hahahahaha

Barbscloud

Ditto. You sound like all of us that smoked.  We smoked with just about everything we did in our lives-at least when we could find a place to smoke.  Just think, you won't have to do that anymore.   This isn't easy, but you have to create new associations and change up you're routines.  It may not seem possible right now--I hear that.  Tackle them one at a time.  That's why a plan is so key to being successful.  What are you going to do instead of smoking after you eat?  Keep busy.  Go for a walk.  Play a video game and keep your mind and hands busy. Come to the  Ex!   That helped me so much early in my quit.  Post or just read.   Pick a date and take the leap into being a non-smoker.  We're here for you.  Just reach out.

Barb

maryfreecig

You are not breaking a habit, you are breaking an addiction. I think learning about this addiction is something that would help you understand why you are smoking all the time. That's what addiction is. Getting over this addiction is not just about taking a pill or learning quick tips.

Welcome to Ex. You've landed at the right place. Please stick around--read, learn, blog--learn about the addiction, prepare to quit, then quit. Ex is here for you 365.

0 Kudos
elvan

This is a one step at a time JOURNEY, change one thing at a time, take one step at a time and BELIEVE that you can do this.  No one can do it for you but you do not have to do it alone.  We are all on the same journey.

Ellen

0 Kudos
Roj

Lots of reading and educating, Allan Carr’s book, and come here for support...you can do this! You really can.

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

Welcome to EXI believe you can quit smoking if you make quitting smoking your number one priority it is doable. You can do this if you make up your mind that you can.  Relearning your thinking that you do not have to smoke or vape is a good beginning.  No matter what happens make a commitment never to ever take another puff.  NOPE.  Take smoking off the table as an option and do something different. Education is the key to successfully quit. Read, Study, Blog and be willing to do the work.  With the help of the EX Community you can have a forever quit.  Start by educating yourself about the addiction to nicotine. Know the LAW!  Go to My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX  and review the videos and learn more about  your triggers and how to prepare when the urges come

cfbays

I stopped smoking yesterday and I feel that same way you feel. I smoked when I was bored, when I went to the bathroom, after eating. Cigarettes have been a big part of my everyday life. I want one so bad right now but I'm just determined to stop. I can't keep killing myself. I don't know how I'm going to do this. I just know how to do it minute by minute. That's all I can do right now.