cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

yarasamhan

NRT to quit juuling or vape

Hi everyone! I never post on things like this but I think this is important. I started juuling when they first came out. I was 16-17 years old and i’m now 19... i’ve never smoked cigarettes but I believed that vapes weren’t harmful until the recent news and having friends and family send me articles on the ~dangers~ .. long story short I have been trying to quit.

I first tried the nicotine patches a couple of days ago, I started on step one (21mg) because i’ve realized there are no supplements to help vapers quit and wasn’t sure which dosage would be the most helpful. After an hour of having the patch on I felt nauseous, wanted to throw up, and I then realized I overdosed so I took the patch off and fell asleep for a couple of hours. 

Yesterday, I decided to get the step 3 patches (7mg) I’ve had it on for almost 24 hrs and feel fine. I haven’t hit my juul since i’ve had it on. I also got the 4mg mints and 4mg cinnamon gums (currently buy one get one free at target) they have been helping a lot and I’m excited to be juul free!! i’ve tried quitting cold turkey and read Allan Carrs book many times and I’ve never tried supplements because he recommended not to, but supplements really do help! 

Overall, if you really want to quit juuling- get the patch, get the gum and just don’t think about it. if you get a craving pop a 4mg gum in. It’s more a behavioral thing for me, just the act of juuling - or having to have my juul on me all the time that I need to get past. 5:29pm will be 24hrs:) hope this helps anyone trying to quit juul

Tags (3)
8 Replies
Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex.   Happy you decided to quit while you so young.  I never vaped but understand it must be difficult to stop when you can vape anywhere.  Us smokers had to find a location to get a fix.   Follow the directions for the nicotine supplements you're taking.  You don't want to overdo it.  If cold turkey is not for you, that's ok--many here have been successful using an aid to quit.  If you need support on your journey, just reach out.

Barb

YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

Although primarily a smoking cessation site, I have seen a huge increase in the number of people coming for help to break free from vaping. Research suggests nicotine may be as addictive as heroin and cocaine. Here is a great article with information about the products: https://www.nbcnews.com/health/vaping/vaping-101-what-know-about-e-cigs-addiction-illnesses-n1054981... There is further information here: https://www.becomeanex.org/quitting-e-cigarettes and here; https://www.lung.org/stop-smoking/smoking-facts/impact-of-e-cigarettes-on-lung.html .

E-cigarette users can get more nicotine than they would from a tobacco product — extra-strength cartridges are available, or the e-cigarette’s voltage can be increased to get a greater hit of the substance. I understand some pods equal the nicotine in a pack of cigarettes. Because it is available to you most anywhere, anytime, I believe it might be more difficult from which to break free than tobacco products - but it CAN be done!

Nicotine addiction is nicotine addiction - no matter the delivery device - and how to beat any of them is about the same. Every time you read :"cigarette" in the information I will give you, just sub "Juul" or “vape,” or “device.” 

You might find useful information, as well, here: https://truthinitiative.org/research-resources/quitting-smoking-vaping/quitting-e-cigarettes.

I am happy to hear you have read  Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” .As with most things here, there is no one-size-fits- all, so take what you find helpful and leave the rest.  Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

After you have completed the recommended reading, it will be time to make an informed choice of the quit aid, if any, you will use. If you go that route, I personally recommend the aids that don't let the addict control the dose such as the available prescription drugs or the patch. If used properly, gum, lozenges and inhalers are fine, but they need to be used only as a last resort after you have tried to delay and distract.   I have seen folks become addicted to them if they substitute them for every cigarette they used to smoke - just trading one addiction for another.  You need to start out with a plan to reduce use of them over time - which the patch does by decreasing the dose contained in them..  For the gum, you can start by cutting each piece in half, then in quarters, then sub regular gum of the same flavor in between, adding more and more regular gum.  For the lozenge, you need to start subbing a mint in between to begin, increasing the number of them over time.

The idea is to change up your routines so the vaping associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from where you vaped.  Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first puff with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to vape so the view is different. Take a different route when you are out and about so you aren't driving by your vaping supply shop. Take a quick walk at break time instead of vaping.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that vaping thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of vape if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...
The conversation in your head in response to the "I want to vape" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

maryfreecig

Quitting is a one day at a time job--no matter which route you take. Ex is a strong quit community focused on supporting anyone who wishes to quit. I'm six years smober--and I still learn something new about quitting everyday. Welcome to Ex, I hope you stick around.

AnnetteMM

That's wonderful! You're still getting nicotine, but you've broken the hand-to-mouth thing with the Juul. Have you thrown out all the equipment? Very important to never give yourself permission to get more. I hope you'll soon be able to get off the patches, too. And welcome!!

0 Kudos
yarasamhan

Yes! I threw it out yesterday in my neighbors trash can while I was walking from my car to my apartment. I dropped it in and heard a ploop then didn’t look back:) 

sweetplt

Hi and Welcome to Ex’s...yarasamhan You received some great advice about you...and so happy to see you just trashed everything...keep close to here for support and keep busy...Gotcha in my thoughts ~ Colleen 317 DOF 

0 Kudos
cstoppa01

Congrats!! I quit vaping (Njoy) and been quit for 1 week. I’m using the cinnamon gum 4mg from Rite Aid and 4mg lozenges. I don’t like the lozenges but they HELP! I know it is extremely hard to get off vaping nic salts cold turkey. I’m with ya all the way! I felt the urge today to go by a new device but I’m not going to do it. But I start getting all excited when I think about it, get a strong desire but I popped a gum and said NOPE. I hope these urges go away and I get off the gum/lozenges with no problem. 

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex and congrats on your quit. One whole week is an accomplishment to celebrate.   

Barb