cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Coyote1

So I made it two weeks.

Can I open a discussion about how I made it two weeks. I didn't want a cigarette at all,  felt great,  had finally gotten through the loss of my two close family members, found ways around my addiction, then,  fell right back in thid one night,  right now,  embarrassed, feeling the need to confess. Uhg. I just want to talk about it. The comfort that holds on. The awareness of the damage.  The sadness of loss. Even though I felt so much better without the nasty habit. Realizing that just a change of habit would save me.

0 Kudos
16 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Don't beat yourself up.  Get back up, dust yourself off - and begin again!  Remember, too, that this is not a habit, it's an ADDICTION - and a difficult one at that from which to break free.  Lots of folks here took more than one go at it to be successful.  You are not alone in that.

Think about what thought process caused you to pick  one up and smoke it - and plan NOW what you will do differently when you quit again.  I hope you didn't keep any around?  Doing so is just giving yourself permission to fail.  Will you take a few slow, deep breaths?  Go for a walk?  Call a friend?  Turn on some tunes and sing along?  Blog "HELP" here and wait for one of us to talk you down off the ledge?

This doesn't need to be a failure unless you make it so.  Get back at it!

Nancy

MarilynH

You can start fresh deep breaths and pick a new quit date and when your day ONE arrives keep your mind as well as your hands occupied and at the end of the day you'll be able to say YAY for Day WON you can and will be successful in your upcoming quit believe it and know that we're all here to help you in any way we can.....

sweetplt

Good Job on the two weeks...don’t beat yourself up, that will not help you...getting back in this journey will help...Figure what you can do that will help you not to go back to smoking ... also, before you smoke, write here and let us try and talk you out of your choice to smoke ... Colleen 315 DOF 

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

It is a good start to admit that you smoked. Sorry for the loss of your family members.  It may be a good motivation to honor them with a forever quit. Education is the key to a successful quit! Smoking is more addiction than a mere habit.  If you do not educate yourself about nicotine addiction you may continue on a cycle of relapse.  Quitting is hard and a challenge but with a commitment not to take a puff no matter what, (grief)  It is and will always be a choice.  I am sorry that you have not been able to be consistent.   I always advise members who are going through difficulty to be here as much as time will permit to participate, read, study, blog.  .  Come here BEFORE you smoke.  To stop the vicious cycle and not become a serial quitter take it seriously and analyze what caused you to smoke.  Have a plan for what to do differently when you have the urge to smoke. Make a vow that you will not smoke if it happens again.   Get rid of all smoking materials it lessens the chances of being tempted.  Have you set a new quit date?  Start with a true commitment that NOPE to yourself no matter what 

Keep it Simple"...

101 Things to Do Instead of Smoke

Stay Connected 

Quit Date - How to Reset 

UNDERSTANDING EXCUSES 

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex/blog/2013/08/11/foundation-for-a-successful-qui...

Thovis

Make it a learning experience.  In my previous attempts to quit, I let myself fall into the trap.  I remember the horrible feeling the next day.  That's helping me now.  When I do have that rare urge, I just remember how bad I felt about myself afterward.  That's serious motivation.  Keep going.  

Sammy838

My last couple quits went pretty much the same way between the job and family deaths of friends they sent me back to smoking as well but I remember when I did take that first drag it tasted bad I felt bad afterwards and they smell of me like a nasty ashtray but yet I continued when I went to buy them again I felt like I was doing something wrong like a crimenal buying drugs I new it was wrong but I was locked in again that was about 3 years ago now I'm back on my quit and just 6 days in to it but with more knowledge and support this time only time will tell and the support of others and the will to keep on the quit will we succeed keep the faith and you'll find your way out same as me and all of us here thank you 

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Coyote1‌ and Sammy838‌ Congrats on your quit progress. Make sure you update your Quit Dates so we can properly celebrate your milestones.  How do I get my quit date to show on the community?‌ will give you steps on how to update and sync.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Coming here to share your experience means you really want to quit.  You had a good two weeks so you learned a lot during that time and what went wrong.  Get right back on track - no looking back, just moving forward.  Reach out for help BEFORE you smoke.  That's what we're here for.

Barb

0 Kudos
maryfreecig

How are you feeling now? Ready to quit or not sure?

0 Kudos