cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

WhispersQSMB

Researchers find e-cigarettes cause lung cancer in mice in first study tying vaping to cancer

10 Replies
avian3

I remember walking to high school when the pollution was so bad here in Los Angeles Co. Our eyes would tear up and we constantly coughed. Now we have to pollute the air one again with these vaping products. At least here they are taking major steps to ban smoking and vaping in many once designated areas.

YoungAtHeart

We had a member who recommended vaping as a good quit tool - because it was "better" than smoking.  He would show up anytime someone would badmouth his product.  Supposedly he was a quit counselor.  I wonder how awful he must be feeling now?

Wasn't this common sense without research?  Lungs were made to inhale air ----- PERIOD.  Quitting smoking by mimicking smoking never made sense to me. 

Glad the research is finally catching up.  I am left to wonder why it took so long???

WhispersQSMB

"My pulmonologist goes ‘Do you smoke?’ I said ‘No, I haven't smoked in almost 3 and a half years.’ And he said ‘More importantly, do you vape?’… and I said, ‘Isn't that better? Isn’t that not as bad?’ And he said, ‘Nope,’” Maestri says.

The 26-year-old says that he started vaping to quit cigarettes, but he knew nothing of the potential risks vaping may cause.

Man sickened by vaping hopes to warn others against the practice 

Barbscloud

Unfortunately we can quit smoking, but there still much that is out of our control.

PITTSBURGH—For the second year in a row, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, was the only U.S. county outside of California to receive all F's in the American Lung Association's national air quality report card.

The annual report gave Allegheny County F grades for ozone, daily particulate matter levels and long-term particulate matter levels. Particulate matter pollution causes higher rates of asthma and lung cancer, decreased lung function in children, and increased hospital admissions and premature death due to heart attacks and respiratory illness.

WhispersQSMB

As more time passes, more and more will come to the surface about vaping. People smoked knowing cigarettes caused cancer, they will continue to vape as well. But the BS that vaping was healthy is being addressed.

Barbscloud

It least it seems we started identify and announcing the consequences of vaping much sooner than cigarettes.  Which led me to research when did vaping begin.  Interesting.

2003: What would become the first commercially successful electronic cigarette is created in Beijing, China by Hon Lik, a 52 year old pharmacist, inventor and smoker. He reportedly created the device after his father, also a heavy smoker, dies of lung cancer. (It is not clear the extent to which his was a de novo rederivation of the technology and to what extent he was drawing upon prior art; he failed to cite much prior art in his patent applications.) The company Lik worked for, Golden Dragon Holdings, developed the device and changed its name to Ruyan, which means “like smoke.”  

Did he have good intentions?

Historical timeline

http://www.casaa.org/historical-timeline-of-electronic-cigarettes/ 

WhispersQSMB

It's possible, he didn't think this through. Like an ex- cigarette smoker that smokes pot. If healthier lungs are the goal, oxygen is all we should inhale. Smoke or Vape Nicotine, both aren't meant for our lungs 

Thovis

Vaping was never an option for me.  I grew up in Missouri and the first microwave popcorn plant had several employees get diagnosed with a lung disease they called popcorn lung.  Apparently the butter flavoring was vaporized and the employees inhaled it all day.  Popcorn lung is like having bronchitis every day.  Will not go away.