cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

mypalbiscuit

Should I continue the patch?

Hi everyone! I’m on day three and having pretty strong cravings today, even though I’m on the patch.

I’m starting to wonder if I’m just needlessly drawing out this whole withdrawal process by using the patch... like, if I’m going to be irritable and craving and all of that anyway, why not just go cold turkey and be done with the physical withdrawals sooner? 

Thoughts?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Be sure you are using the right strength patch, depending on the number of cigarettes you smoked when you quit.  Each cigarette equals about 1 mg of nicotine.  Thus, if you are using a 21 mg. patch - that would equal a pack a day of cigarettes. Only you can really decide to stop the patch - but if you do, keep one near you and promise yourself you will put it back on and give it time to work BEFORE you smoke! 

Have you done the recommended reading?  Hope so!  You need to distract yourself when a crave hits!  Change up your routines so the associations are reduced.

Let us know what you decide! 

Nancy

constanceclum

I used the patch and had very strong cravings. The 21mg patch is equivilant to 15 to 20 cigarettes over 24 hours. I smoked 30 cigarettes/day. Now they are recommending heavier smokers use the nicotine gum/lozenges with the patch. . That's what I did the first week being careful in how many I used. I used 5-6 lozenges a day. I'm on day 70 today and am using the 14mg patch, and I feel wonderful!

Connie

avian3

I can't really tell you what you should do. I can only tell you that I was, and still am to a point, an anxious nut case that I just like to get things over with quickly so I don't have to constantly think about them. The main point is to not smoke, NO MATTER WHAT.

mypalbiscuit

Hahaha I relate to that! That helps to clarify things... I think I’m just letting anxiety get to me... 

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

That really is you're decision.  Quitters have been successful cold turkey and using an aid.   I used Webutrin and nicotrol inhalers. 

Barb

I stopped using them when I forgot to put one on two days in a row. (this was the end of my second week)

I was playing guitar 10 hours a day those two weeks which releases a lot of endorphins. Figure out a way to get the dopamine nicotine was delivering.

virgomama

It really is your choice.  I had great success with the patches.  I found they lowered my cravings so I could focus on the triggers that made me want to smoke.  Patch or no patch you need some backup plans for when the cravings hit  What will I do instead of smoke?