cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

amm246

Very Emotional

Hey everyone I quit 3 days ago and the first and second day I was very emotional and cried a lot and I wasn’t really sure why. Was this part of withdrawals? Overall, I haven’t had too many cravings today and I am feeling awesome!

9 Replies
constanceclum

When you think of how long you smoked and all the situations and emotions you smoked, it makes sense that you would be emotional now that you are navigating those same situations without smoking. It happens to all of us. No matter how badly we want to quit, we still have times that we miss them. Your addiction wants desperatly for you to smoke. Just say NOPE!

Connie

JACKIE1-25-15

Yes, our emotions can getaway.  Congratulations son being smokefree for 3 days.  Quitting has a tendency for our emotions to be on a rollercoaster.  It is best to try and remain calm as much as possible. Crying is okay.  

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex/blog/2018/01/04/early-withdrawal-symptoms?sr=se...‌  If you would like to find out more on any topic, simply use the magnifying glass top right corner and input a keyword.  You will learn a lot.  Education is the key to a successful quit. 

Barb102

Everyone is different and goes through a different withdrawal   I had many bouts of depression and crying. I didn’t understand why at the time. It was just part of my withdrawal and it passed as I progressed in my quit. You may experience different things at different times of your quit. Just remember many others felt the same way. They got through it and so will you. You are off to a great start. I’m here to support you. 

Barbscloud

Yes, this is what I experienced.  I had little physical withdrawal symptoms, if any.  Mine was more emotional.  Honestly it took a while to get through, but it will happen. It can be a bumpy, ride so stay strong and use this site--it truly helped me.   Stay in touch and please reach out when you're having one of those moments.

Barb

marciem

It can be a real roller-coaster ride, this quitting thing.  But the emotional upheaval, euphoria, anger, rage, sadness.... being all over the map emotionally in 60 seconds or less.... this doesn't last forever, and you will settle into your new normal and be comfy in your own skin once again.  It might seem like forever, but it really won't be that long before things start to even out.

sweetplt

Hi and Welcome to Ex’s ~ amm246 

Jackie gave you a blog to read with the early withdrawal symptoms...You will see that crying jags is one of them...I remember them well the first few weeks...it will get better...you are 3 days quit and still having physical withdrawal from the nicotine.  It will be a roller coaster ride this first week quitting...one minute ok, one minute trying to keep busy and then one minute crying and feeling you lost your best friend...May I suggest you read at My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX 

it will help you with your quit journey.  Also, try and keep busy, replacing smoking/vaping, etc., with healthy activities, here is a list to get you started.../blogs/Maggie_quit_8-1-2010-blog/2012/03/19/100-things-to-do-instead-of-smoking?sr=search&searchId=2... I found when I had those crying or sad moments to get outside and walk really helped me out...exercise really helps you out ... also, come here and read the posts and help other’s in their journey by encouraging them and/or coming for help.  Remember to take care of YOU right now...your body is healing...You can do this, hang in there...Colleen 305 DOF 

indingrl

Welcome CONGRATULATIONS ON NICOTINE FREEDOM - WAY TO GO

elvan

Welcome to EX, I agree that feeling emotional is part of the withdrawal.  We stuffed our emotions with our addiction and when our feelings are finally being felt, they feel really intense and all over the place.  The early stages of a quit are like PMS on steroids. The good news is that it gets better.  Congratulations on your quit.

Ellen

marciem

Ellen... ROFL @ "pms on steroids" !!  That says it all