cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

sj.schombs946

How to stay motivated when you're tired and cranky?

I have found that without any patches (which I can't afford) I am just so tired and cranky all day. I have a stressful job and that doesn't help at all. I'm having trouble not smoking right after work so I have the energy to do anything when I get home. Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
JACKIE1-25-15

This may sound crazy but I think if you got a little EXercise that may make a difference.  Life can become a rountine, therefore, change your pattern even if it is the direction that you drive home.  Take time to enjoy nature, notice what is around you and just learn to breathe and relax.  Life is short.  Enjoy it.  Embrace your quit.  Cel;ebrate each day that you do not smoke. Know in your heart you have not lost a thing. You will not die.  You will live.  Just breathe. BTW if you want to quit you have to get rid of all smoking paraphernalia, ashtrays, lighters,  clean your car to be so fresh that you do not want to smoke in it.  Make the change you can do it. 

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

Take smoking off the table as an option and do something different. 101 Things to Do Instead of Smoke SINAO smoking is not an option.  That is NOPE concept Not one puff ever. Be have to be willing to do the work. It is not by will power but your willingness to do this.   Quitting is the easy part.  Staying quit takes work.   Learning to protect your quit will keep on your journey forever freedom. This journey is one day at a time.  Never give up, never give in. Hang tough Stay Close. Education is the key to successfully quit. Read, Study, Blog and be willing to do the work.  With the help of the to EX Community you can have a forever quit.  Start by educating yourself about the addiction to nicotine. Know the LAW!  If you Go to My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX  and review the videos and learn more about what your triggers and how to prepare when the urge hits. 

sweetplt

HI and Welcome to Ex’s

Since you want Motivation...I recommend you read many posts at the blog Ladybug--7-3-12 Blog ...she writes one about motivation...What motivates you? ... Dig deep and find it...to keep that quit...Your unhappy, cranky, stressed, etc., You can change your attitude...when you smoked...you had days that you were cranky, stressed and tired...so if you have them when you smoked ... and now you are having a day like this when you don’t smoke...learn how to cope without the smokes...there are many ways...ie., get up and walk around, get outside and breath some fresh air, pray, meditate, etc., Much of this journey is learning new healthy techniques to dealing with life without the cigarettes...

Also, I suggest if you haven’t already, read at My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX to help with this journey.  

Keep close to the support site to encourage others on this journey and to get help.  

Now don’t smoke...learn to live life on her terms...Happy Wednesday ~Colleen 303 DOF 

YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

The sad and cranky is part of the withdrawal process and your body learning to live without it.  That part of your quit WILL end - get through it the best you can.  Warn loved ones and co-workers and apologize ahead of time for any discomfort you might cause them.  It IS temporary - and quitting smoking is the BEST thing you can do for yourself and for those who love you.  It does get easier as you get time under our belt - if it didn't  - not many would make it out alive!!!

The important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. You can search for it online or at your local library. If you do nothing else to get ready for your quit, please do give this a read.

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go to the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmoking.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance. Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be

It will be informative if you do the tracking and separation exercises recommended here on the site. As you track each cigarette smoked, note its importance, and what you might do instead. Put each one off just a little to prove that you don't NEED a cigarette just because you think you do.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...
The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

0 Kudos
avian3

This caught my eye since I have been feeling the same way the last few days and I have been quit 9 years. Even never smokers have days like this. I found you just have to force yourself to put one foot in front of the other to make yourself more active. Just fake it 'til ya make it and eventually you will feel better whether you have been quit one day or one year.

maryfreecig

To grow stronger in your quit, you've got to build your smobriety one day at a time. If you've been handling your quit all on your own (and it is possible to do it this way) but find yourself sinking back into the same old songs that kept you smoking, then stick with Ex we're here 365. Being with other quitters helps you focus on your new goal. Quitters get the ups and downs and you are free to blog as often as you like, and their is a wealth of experience here from many members.

Your quit is a one day at a time journey--so is your motivation. Set aside any excuses to backslide, revisit the reason you wanted to quit in the first place--and stay close to Ex. 

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

I'm not tired, but I am cranky. Life?   Did anyone say you might be able to obtain free patches from your state?   1-800-QUIT-NOW   

Thovis

I know I'm only a month into my quit so my advice isn't as strong as the vets, but I find that light exercise helps a lot.  I walk my neighborhood in the morning and evening, after dinner.  Not only does it give me a fresh outlook it also helps with the weight gain that is typically an issue with quitting. I'm up to 5 to 6 miles per day and have a very positive outlook 

jonimarie

I know I'm only a month into my quit so my advice isn't as strong as the vets

Thovis  I'd Say you gave some strong advise here plus a positive can do attitude