cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Redhead101

Quit smoking @weight gain

H0w do I stop putting  pounds on since I quit smoking lol?yea had and episode  the other day a friend  of mind said u  look like your  getting  thick I said hell  really only been 3 days since  I stopped  smoking  I said been snacking  a lot  ,thought to myself  omg i don't want put on a bunch of weight so any suggestion????

0 Kudos
9 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Perhaps substitute some lower calorie snacks in between the higher caloried ones?  Frozen grapes are good for this, as are sugar free gum and mints, carrot and celery sticks, lowfat yogurt tastes (even a spoonful at a time can work).

You should also increase your exercise (even a few sets of stairs or marching in place works!).  Keep your portions at regular meals a bit smaller.  It is said that you have to eat 200 less calories a day for the change in metabolism that quitting creates just to stay at your pre-quit weight.  This will level out over time.    You might try (if you can) eating 6 smaller meals during the day - a protein and a fruit or vegetable at each.  You might do a few almonds and a piece of fruit, or a half of a peanut butter sandwich and carrot sticks, or a small portion of meat and a pear. 

Don't try to diet, per se.  There will be extra time (and money for a gym,maybe) when your quit is well in hand to tackle any extra pounds!

And keep in mind that a few extra pounds won't kill you; smoking CAN!

sweetplt

I found snacking with better foods such as carrot sticks, celery, raisins, sunflower seeds, etc., are better than snacking on junk food...and also, helpful is to get moving by walking, exercise etc., however, you are early in your quit and you don’t want to focus too much on weight right now ... but on keeping the quit...that is the priority ... weight can be taken off later when more secure in your quit...Happy Sunday ~ Colleen 300 DOF 

maryfreecig

Baby celery with your favorite dressing

Pickles have zero calories

Stock the fridge and cupboard with your favorite low calorie, moderate calorie options

Understand that you will be able to deal with anxious eating better once you've gained more smobriety.

Congrats on your quit!!! Way to go.

0 Kudos
PrimeNumberJD

20190929_161217.jpg

This is my best advice, eat all you want of the right foods! The right foods are super low calorie, higher fiber, and generally vegetables. I spend a couple of hours cutting up vegetables every Sunday. Blaring music and my youngest helping makes it fun. I find the cutting kind of therapeutic as well! I bag and package the what I don't eat so I can easily take them with me all week long. 

Watch your sodium and sugar intake, drink large amounts of water, and eat fruits/vegetables as your go to snack, you'll help keep the weight at bay. Walking and exercising, whatever is within your ability, help the mind and the weight as well. The American heart association recommends 150 minutes of moderate exercise to improve cardiovascular health. 

I may not be the usual case, the above was in response to my own weight gain. I'm a runner, but running was a huge trigger for me, so I took about 45 days off. It was the last trigger I could control that I reintroduced after quitting. I really started to commit around 60 days. The problem for me, I gained a bunch of weight in the beginning because I didn't change my intake with reduced physical activity. I eat A LOT! In a single run, I could burn 1000 plus calories. My off run days are spent putting in the food for the next run day. So, I may not have been the usual in gaining 25 pounds in a short period. I also did not worry about the weight because I knew I can lose it once I started running again. 

I did read an article that stated, even modest weight gain is healthier than continuing to smoke. Keep this in mind. Another thing that may help is when you get a craving, get up and get moving. Get your heart rate up a bit before returning to what you are doing. 

Beck37

Stay off the scale and stay away from unsupportive friends.....

Weight gain was the main reason I didn’t quit sooner. When I did quit I thought okay I’m not going to gain weight cause I’m not going to eat more. Well apparently one of those chemicals in cigarettes helps with our metabolism.  Sucks big time but it’s reality. So back to my first response, stay off the scale. Deal with one thing at a time. Worry about your quit for now. If you do need to munch more as mentioned above snack on healthy choices. Its worth it it in the long run so we have to just be okay with it for now. 

Hang in there...

Beck

Barbara145

A doctor told me years ago, "If weight is not a problem before you quit, it won't be after."  It was true for me.  I gained about 5 to 10 lbs in the first month or two when I first quit smoking. It is true you must focus on quitting.  After a while I lost the weight.   Congrats on quitting smoking. 

JACKIE1-25-15

PrimeNumberJD‌ advice is on point.

Watch your sodium and sugar intake, drink large amounts of water, and eat fruits/vegetables as your go-to snack, you'll help keep the weight at bay.  

PastTense

Redhead101‌ - I feel your pain and I have been watching the quit pounds add up and up and up.

Sure, you could eat celery, but if you are like me and hate every single vegetable on the planet, that isn't going to happen.  The "cure" becomes much worse than the disease. 

I bought a massive bag of sugar-free gum and have chewed it non-stop.  That helps.

I bought a case of flavored seltzer water (generic brand La Croix) and that has been a game changer.

I realized that I only have X amount of willpower.  Quitting smoking takes up X +2 amount of willpower.

I chose to accept that for the first month and now I am working my way back down.

Keep the Quit
PT
MDR_BDel

Yes, try to eat healthy if you can, but I wouldn't worry too much about it this early on.  You may gain a few pounds that you can lose after the major withdrawals subside. Your body needs to remember how to regulate your blood sugars without the massive dopamine/blood sugar rush cigarettes give you every time you smoke.  Doing it with only food will take a few weeks to get back to normal.