cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

Anyone successful with patches after failed cold turkey attempts?

I have quit twice before, cold turkey both times. The first, I made the mistake after about 3 months of thinking that I could just have one. The second, my husband came home having fallen off the wagon, and I went down with him. 

I'm currently 89 days cigarette free, this time using the patch. My quitting experience has been extremely different with patches. I already had tools in my arsenal to keep triggers at bay but the patch really, really helped take the edge off.

However, when I look back between my experiences, I feel like when I had quit cold turkey, at this point in my journey I was very rarely thinking of smoking. If I was it was more of a "wow, look at me not wanting a cigarette" with a pat on the back. 

With the patch I am down to 7mg but have continued to have a strong craving almost daily. Ones that are much harder to talk myself through than when I had quit cold turkey.

Am I crazy? I want to be successful but also feel like I just want to stop using patches and get rid of the craving it seems to be making me hang on to. Not sure if that makes sense, or if it's normal, but just comparing my experiences with those 2 quit methods. I guess I'm hoping to hear from anyone who has gone down a similar path. I'm new here, and this is my first post! Thanks for reading.

Labels (1)
9 Replies
Giulia

Welcome and wonderful first post and questions you've asked.  I was a  cold turkey aka SMART TURKEY‌ quitter, so I have zero experience on the patch or any other NRT.  My NRT was cutting up a straw into a cigarette length, wadding it up with a piece of tissue to give it a "draw" and "pretend smoking."  Of course there was no nicotine in that.  So when I quit, I didn't have to go through what you are with the patch and weaning off it.

"but also feel like I just want to stop using patches and get rid of the craving it seems to be making me hang on to."  Personally I'm one who believes in trusting one's instincts.  And so I say that to you now.  Re-read your own post here.  You have given yourself all the answers. All you need do - is trust them.  Trust yourself.  Trust that Best of you, that knows what's best FOR you.  Seriously.  Everybody here who has quit, by whatever method they have, will give you their opinion.  Personally I think you already have your answer.  Trust it.  

You're 11 days from your 100th day quit.  How amazing is that?!!!  You have to ask yourself what you really want.  And that Best part of you, will give you the answer. 

I suppose until joining this site, I never really paid attention to the amount of time it had been since my last cigarette. 100 days does sound like something to be proud of! Thank you so much!

YoungAtHeart

Do keep in mind that the suggested length of patch use was created by the folks who are selling the patches!  Do stop them when YOU think you are ready.  Some here have kept one with them after they stop and promised themselves they would put it on and give it time to work before they lit a cigarette. 

Remember to start distracting yourself when you are in a situation/time of day/place where you used to smoke to get ready to be without the nicotine.  That practice is a good idea for when you quit the patches.

Nancy

a 100 days that’s amazing that’s huge be proud of yourself I’m 4 days to quitting in a panic but I realized the patch fell off it does help distraction and chewing straws seems to be the winners I’ll try it

@Dawnladgross Welcome to the Ex and congrats on your upcoming quit on the 28th.   Don't be discouraged about using quit aids. There are many options out there.  They have led to success for many quitters on the site.  Can you elaborate.  Have you started using the patch before you quit and it fell off?

I also chewed the heck out of some straws along with Sour Patch Kids!

Anxiety about quitting is normal. Many describe it as losing their best friend, We've smoked our way through every event and emotion, so it's only normal that were apprehensive. Approaching your quit one day at a time can help to alleviate the fear. Don't think about forever right now. You'll see those one days will turn into multiple days.

Right now, you're working through the process of your desire to quit and the addiction wanting you to keep it up. You can win that internal battle by educating yourself about nicotine addiction and putting a plan in place with how you'll deal with cravings, identifying your triggers and creating the new associations you'll create instead of smoking.

And you just found an amazing group of quitters the are here to support you on this journey to becoming an Ex. There will be ups and downs, but that is part of the journey. We're here for you, so just reach out anytime we can help or want to share your experience.

This link is a great place to get you started on the right track. https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

We're here for you, so reach out anytime we can help.

Stay busy and stay close.

Barb

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

You might start with weaning yourself down to the lowest mg of patch available.  I see that Nicoderm goes down to 5 mg.  I don't know if others are available that are lower...but at that point you are only getting the nicotine contained in about five cigarettes.

It sounds to me like you are ready to just bite the bullet and stop using them.  Withdrawals should be minimal at that level.    Make a promise to yourself, though, that if you re thinking about lighting a cigarette, you will put one back on and wait for it to build up in your system.

If you decide to go for it, also promise yourself that you will come here and blog "HELP" if the going gets tough!  Give us time to get to you and talk you down off the ledge.

Let's DO this!  Freedom is wonderful!!!

Nancy

Barbscloud

Have you been reducing the strength of the patches?  Big congrats on 89 days.

Barb

sweetplt

Congratulations on 89 days quit smoking...I quit cold turkey...and I feel NRT’s work great, but I think one you must follow the directions and use them accordingly...also, second I believe no matter what we must go through withdrawal and I feel what is happening to you...is you are still feeding the addiction with nicotine...and you need to rid that part of your quit...this is just my opinion...take what works and leave the rest...some good advice above me...let us know how it is going and/or what you decide...~ Colleen 299 DOF 

0 Kudos

Thank you all so much for your kind words! I'm replying to the post rather than individually because many have asked the same question. I am indeed following the directions of the patches, although I have been using them longer than what is directed on the box. Doing so because there have been studies that found the longer you use them, the more successful you will be. I was on the first step for a month, second for another month, and now I am on the third and final step. It has been around a month on this step now too.

I appreciate everyone's input, your replies mean a lot to me and I definitely feel like I am not alone in this now. I'm so glad that I learned about this program! A million times thank you, all!

Sara