Saranicholette23

Anyone successful with patches after failed cold turkey attempts?

Discussion created by Saranicholette23 on Sep 27, 2019
Latest reply on Oct 1, 2019 by Youngatheart.7.4.12

I have quit twice before, cold turkey both times. The first, I made the mistake after about 3 months of thinking that I could just have one. The second, my husband came home having fallen off the wagon, and I went down with him. 

I'm currently 89 days cigarette free, this time using the patch. My quitting experience has been extremely different with patches. I already had tools in my arsenal to keep triggers at bay but the patch really, really helped take the edge off.

However, when I look back between my experiences, I feel like when I had quit cold turkey, at this point in my journey I was very rarely thinking of smoking. If I was it was more of a "wow, look at me not wanting a cigarette" with a pat on the back. 

With the patch I am down to 7mg but have continued to have a strong craving almost daily. Ones that are much harder to talk myself through than when I had quit cold turkey.

Am I crazy? I want to be successful but also feel like I just want to stop using patches and get rid of the craving it seems to be making me hang on to. Not sure if that makes sense, or if it's normal, but just comparing my experiences with those 2 quit methods. I guess I'm hoping to hear from anyone who has gone down a similar path. I'm new here, and this is my first post! Thanks for reading.

Outcomes