cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Roj

Scared

Well I went for a low resolution CT scan because I’m a smoker for more than 35 years...good news there is no spots or nodules...not so good news apparently I have emphysema...what stage I have no idea because I need to follow up with my pcp. Started reading and I have wanted to quit smoking for a bit now as I am 57 and starting to feel my age. I have no grandkids yet but when they do come, being able to breath would be a good thing right? I am scared right now...scared of the disease and scared to quit smoking...would appreciate any and all comments...thanks

18 Replies
JACKIE1-25-15

Welcome to EX I can understand you being scared.  I was scared of a stroke, heart disease, cancer which was my motivation to quit smoking.  No need to fear quitting it would be the best thing that you could do for the rest of your life.  There is so much freedom. Your health with get better and your money will build.  Do not let fear cause you not quit.  Fear is a False Expectation Appearing Real.  Knowledge is Power.  Educating yourself about nicotine addiction can remove ALL fear.  Education and preparation is the key to a successful quit.  Start first by educating yourself on addiction to nicotine.  It is advisable to read Allen Carr's Easyway to Quit Smoking which can be found on pdf on the web.  Another good site to get info is www.whyquit.com.  There are several articles to read.  Nicotine 101 and Freedom From Nicotine My Journey Home.  Quitting takes planning and preparation go to EX Plan | BecomeAnEX  to decide how you are going to go about quitting. To get help on navigating the site go to. Community Help‌.  Stay close you have come to the right place for support. Friday’s Promise is Resilience

Roj

crazy thing is watching my mother die from lung cancer wasn’t enough...guess I’m a slow learner...thanks for the advice

0 Kudos
angieo666

Scared to quit on Tuesday  I've  use tobacco  since I was a teen and I'm 45 now and don't know if I can do it im a grandma of a one year old grandson and a newborn granddaughter  new to that too

0 Kudos
MarilynH

Welcome to the community @angieo666 you can do this quit on Tuesday, please read everything you can because there's a wealth of information right here on this site to strengthen your resolve to kick the nicotine poison to the curb permanently it's not easy by any stretch of the imagination BUT with commitment and perseverance you will succeed in living a life of Freedom and we're all here to help you in any way we can, when your day ONE arrives keep your mind as well as your hands occupied by the end of the day you'll be able to say YAY for DAY WON with many more to come, as difficult as quitting smoking is it's also very Doable and totally worth it to be able to go anywhere anytime whenever wherever and however without wondering where to sneak off to suck on a damned Cancer Stick! Congratulations on your granddaughter and your one year old grandson....

0 Kudos
Kking4

You can do it, trust me. I am a 44 year old and grandmother of a one year old as well. I just quit smoking 92 days ago cold turkey. I still have many challenges and I keep pushing everyday. My experience may be different from what you will experience....but you can do it and this is definitely a great place to be for support and encouragement. 

Kking
MarilynH

Welcome to the community we're all here to help you in any way we can many of us have emphysema and other smoking related illnesses, it's not to quit smoking by any stretch of the imagination BUT it's absolutely Doable and totally worth it stay close and keep reading everything you can because there's a wealth of information right here on this site to strengthen your resolve to kick the nicotine poison to the curb permanently I'm not very tech savvy I haven't figured out how to copy and paste links yet but I can mention a couple of people that can help by posting a few. Thomas3.20.2010 and Mark

YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

Quitting is the single most important thing you can do to keep the emphysema from progressing further.  I'm glad you are going to do it!

The important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I also highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.”. If you do nothing else to get ready for your quit, please do give this a read.  It helped me and many others here to be successful.  You will look at smoking in a whole new way!

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go to the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmoking.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance. Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be.

After you have completed the recommended reading, it will be time to make an informed choice of the quit aid, if any, you will use. If you go that route, I personally recommend the aids that don't let the addict control the dose such as the available prescription drugs or the patch. If used properly, gum, lozenges and inhalers are fine, but they need to be used only as a last resort after you have tried to delay and distract.   I have seen folks become addicted to them if they substitute them for every cigarette they used to smoke - just trading one addiction for another.  You need to start out with a plan to reduce use of them over time - which the patch does by decreasing the dose contained in them..  For the gum, you can start by cutting each piece in half, then in quarters, then sub regular gum of the same flavor in between, adding more and more regular gum.  For the lozenge, you need to start subbing a mint in between to begin, increasing the number of them over time. I do not recommend the e-cigarette for four reasons: 1) the vapor has been compared to the polluted air in Bejing on a bad day, 2) they just provide another nicotine delivery system while continuing the hand to mouth smoking motion,  3) the batteries can spontaneously catch on fire and 4) you can become addicted to that and it has not yet been proven safe .

It will be informative if you do the tracking and separation exercises recommended here on the site. As you track each cigarette smoked, note its importance, and what you might do instead. Put each one off just a little to prove that you don't NEED a cigarette just because you think you do.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:
 https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...
The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

Roj

such great information thanks

0 Kudos
sweetplt

Hi and Welcome to Ex’s Roj 

I am so glad you found our site and are ready to quit smoking.  I have bronchial asthma from smoking...step before emphysema ... I quit smoking 298 Days ago... it takes hard work, but so doable...I feel so much better in every aspect of my life.  First, I suggest you read at My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX and make a quit date (usually two weeks from the reading)...then plan for that day like no other and cut down on your daily smokes.  Next, read the blogs here to help in this journey.  A big part of this journey is finding healthy things to do in place of smoking...here is a list to help.../blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instead-of-smoke?sr=search&searchId=5d25... We are here for you...and all in this journey together...Gotcha in my Thoughts ~ Colleen 298 DOF