cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Redhead101

My day 3

My day went ok I kept busy ,didn't mean I didn't have any crave's I did I just got up got busy like it at  work when I sit there and look at the where I used to smoke at woron my break it kind of bothered me so I went out there with my phone got on ex read some  got me some grapes and a  lozengenger  took the edge off  on my 15 minute break,well let me tell you early that morning my son  got to bugging me so I thought to myself  I need a smoke you know so I thought about I can't do this anymore telling my husband so this is the reason why I can't quit smoking right here stress in my life he said don't let it bother you it'll be okay you're doing it for you well I thought about it it wouldn't make me feel better if I picked up a cigarette so I thought  about how to releave stress took some deep breaths and thought about the situation and handled it done pretty good there lol  

12 Replies
Sootie

You did GREAT!!!! the best thing you did was "think about it"........we ALL used to just mindlessly smoke telling our selves it was "helping".......but really, what did it help? Nothing. Keep going and aren't you lucky to have such a smart supportive husband!

Redhead101

Yes he use to smoke 2 packs a day he quit last year when he had to ,we almost lost him ,he has carotid artery carotid artery disease congestive heart failure only working on35% of his heart,,,and open  heart surgery abt 2 years ago but tht didn't  stop him from smoking  this last heart attack  did though he never pick one up after that , I guess I surprised  him when I told him  going on 3 days now no smoking  lol,,,

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

You did GREAT!  It's lessons like this (and that aha moment when you realized that smoking would not have helped the situation at all) that will take you far in this quit.

Day 3?  YIPPEE!

Nancy

marciem

WOW, Redhead101‌ ... You did exactly step by step what your place in the quit time-line requires of you... you got smart REALLY quickly!  Instead of going on the autopilot that your addiction has led you to, you thought about it first!!  You should be very proud, and your hubs needs a huge hug and kiss for telling you what you needed to hear... that you're doing this for you and YOU CAN DO IT!  Deep breathing  (4 x 4 or any other technique where you think about the breathing not the stress) was and still is my favorite stress reliever... it's free, always there and really does work!

Now... if you hadn't "thought about it".. where exactly would you have picked a cigarette up from?  Does your hubs still smoke?  Do you have leftover "just in case" cigarettes in your home?  If so, I strongly recommend getting rid of any and all smokeable materials... give yourself more time to "think about it" before you fatally flaw your current beautiful quit!

Best to you, and stay close!!  You're doing great!  

p.s. I'm sorry your hubs is so ill, I hadn't seen your response about his smoking when I typed this.  I'm glad you are both smoke-free now, and hopefully this will slow any progression of his heart problems.

Barbscloud

Three days of success is fabulous.   Glad your husband was there to remind you of your goal.   A little support goes a long way.  Sorry to hear everything your husband is dealing with.  I had a similar situation with my husband and that alone is stressful.   Keep it going one day at a time.

Barb

sweetplt

You are doing it...your feelings, thoughts, etc., are so common in this journey...getting past a crave, urge moment...makes you stronger and nicodemon weaker.  Welcome to Day 4...~ Colleen 300 DOF 

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Day FOUR?

Go for MORE!

0 Kudos
Beck37

There is always going to be stress in our life whether we smoke or not. There are millions of people all around us that have never smoked and they seem to deal with it just fine.  You’ve got to change your way of thinking. Stop thinking of your quit as having to give up something. Be real with yourself, smoking is not a positive. Stay out of your head. Don’t think about lighting up. Shake the thought right out of your head the moment it even starts. 

Soon enough you are going to discover that smoking didn’t actually help with dealing with stress but actually enhanced it. Who would have thought.... You’ve got to hang in there. This site is filled with successful quitters that all started out just like you. 

You can do this. Make yourself proud!

Beck

aboyd63

Congratulations on your quit day 4 now.  Way to go thinking before smoking. Keep it up,  Know you can do it.  I got a husband just like you supportive.  I'm real happy for you on your quit .     CONGRATULATIONS  again you got this