cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discuss different approaches to quitting, including medication

Sylvia_Deitz

Advice for Newbies

I'm not sure who wrote this, but I felt it was such good advice I saved it.
Advice:
Gather all the information and resources you can. This site is such a life-saver. Stay close and read and post as much as you can. You can do this!

Advice:
Just do it- you can learn to like it later! And you will. Cold turkey, patches, whatever works for you. Your most important choice, ever, is simply to not smoke.

Advice:
Quit and never look back. Your life depends on it. Anyone can quit if they want to badly enough. Visit this site everyday. It really helps.

Advice:
Put your quit first; worry about weight, the fidgeting, and irritability second.... Protect your quit. Defend it. Nurture it. Everything else will fall into place.

Advice:
Nobody ever died from quitting smoking. It's tough but it's do-able. You won't believe any of us until you do it for yourself. And then see how great it feels.

Advice:
Always remember that you DO NOT WANT TO SMOKE. That’s why you are here! Anything that tells you that you want to smoke is a delusion!

Advice:
Just keep a positive attitude. When a craving hits, just tell yourself that you are stronger than your addiction and you can do this. Don't let the cigarettes win!!!

Advice:
Don't be afraid! Of peer pressure, of failure... of anything! Practice does make perfect! As long as you are serious about quitting, you will. You just have to really want to.

Advice:
Pledge everyday, exercise, drink plenty of H2O, ask for help and always stay positive.
Make sure you change your old habits. Celebrate Milestones! Try cinnamon gum and suckers.

Advice:
To my fellow EX-smokers, if you're worried about gaining weight - DON'T! You can always lose weight, but you can't lose lung cancer.

Advice:
Don't let the cravings control you; think positive that they will pass. Come to this site and talk with others who know what you are going through- it really does help.

Advice:
Know your enemy (cigarette) for what it is, and have no fear! Look your enemy in the eye and know him for death. He offers nothing in return. You gotta wanna!

Advice:
The fear of the craves is a lot worse than the reality. With the help of the fellow Quitsters, I will beat this demon. You can too!

Advice:
For your health and your family, do this now! You can do it! YES you can! We'll tell you that till you believe it, too!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
ellen5

Sylvia, you discussion starter, you! I wanted to let you know how proud I am of you for having quit after so many years of smoking! My Mom had COPD and cancer of the larynx but even though she quit, I don't think she ever enjoyed her freedom, choosing to feel deprived instead. I lost her at age 67, which is way too young. Thank you for being such a great "cheerleader" on this site!
0 Kudos
Sylvia_Deitz

Ellen, Thank you! I'm so sorry to hear about your precious Mom! I'm pretty sure it's doubly hard to quit after smoking so much of your life. You don't remember what life was like before you smoked, so you have nothing to compare with. I only had the few times that I had quit in the past and it wasn't really long enough to really remember that well. Anyway, as I said on my page, I had to decide if I really wanted to live or die from emphysema and COPD. I chose life and I'm trying to improve it in every area since I'm no longer a slave to nicotine. Oh, and you're welcome for the help, Hon, and thank you for participating in the discussions!