cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

mdkrn2001

Second Hand Smoke

I have a really dumb question, and quite frankly I am afraid of the answer....... I have been on Chantix for numerous weeks and have been smoke-free for 45ish days.  I unfortunately had to enter a smoking shack (where several people were currently smoking) at work because I had to do an interview with an individual that was in there and refused to leave the area...Anyways, I started to feel a bit dizzy after leaving.  What I am afraid of, is that my body absorbed some nicotine and I am feeling the effects?  Please tell me I am wrong...I do NOT want to go through withdrawals again   Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!  Please and thank you in advance!!!!!

Mike

0 Kudos
6 Replies
YoungAtHeart

I think your body did react to the smoke-filled air, but don't think that bit of exposure should reach the same level as smoking a cigarette. I would hope it is ventilated?   Just be cautious for the next few days that it might have awakened a few of your brain sensors and they might see a crack to draw you back through to addiction.

I hope in the future you might be able to refuse to enter the shack - I would think HR would have something to say about you being forced to go in there!  Blech!

Congratulations on 45 days - now take a shower and wash your clothes!!!

0 Kudos
mdkrn2001

That is what I was afraid of.  It has been such a struggle for me during this quit because I have basically quit only because our workplace is going smoke free 10/1/19 and was NOT quitting for myself and I certainly don't want to have to start over now

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

I DO understand why you are feeling as you do.  When I was a smoker they moved the area we could smoke a good ways from my workplace (and in a wind tunnel in the winter and with no protection from any of the elements) and I was FURIOUS!  Shortly after I retired, they made the campus smoke free, too.....but I quit shortly after I retired.  I would have been dragged to quitting, kicking and screaming, though, had I still been working there and smoking.

May I offer some words of advice from my current place?  Might it help to change up your thinking?  How about your employer has given you an opportunity to gain a longer and more healthful life? Save time AND money?  Hopefully prevent COPD?  There ARE positives to quitting smoking!  I hope you are putting your savings in a jar or separate place from the black hole of your budget?  Some have used a big glass jar  - but any container will do.  If you don't have cash readily available, maybe add the amount to cash that you would have spent to add to the collection.  Watching your savings grow and thinking about what you might indulge in might help your mindset, as well.

You might still take a break from your work from time to time, but maybe go for a quick walk ?  Helps with the craves, and gives you a bit of dopamine you are missing, as well!

You ARE doing this and should be very proud - no matter the reason!

marciem

hey there, mdkrn2001‌ ... you are doing GREAT.  I doubt that those minutes exposure to second hand smoke are going to totally re-awaken the receptors you've put to sleep... but ever-vigilant.  Be aware a crave could blindside you, but it won't be like from day-one and you have already put aside many of the habitual behaviors associated with smoking.

In addition to Nancy's YoungAtHeart‌ 's great advice above, I might add that a lot of us found our reasons for quitting/staying quit completely changing over time.  Some quit because of money, or health reasons, or like you because of job requirements.... but after being quit a while those reasons changed when we saw the positives that being quit brought us, sometimes unexpectedly.  For instance, for me I saw my self-esteem soaring, and loved no longer being a social pariah.. just for starters.

So, what I'm saying is, while you quit because of your job requiring it, at this point of 45 days, really concentrate on your reasons (not the job thing) for STAYING quit, the positive aspects of no longer being a smoker.  That plus the money (Oh and don't forget to add the cost of the little incidentals you probably have grabbed sometimes up at the counter when you purchased your cigarettes... some chips or a soda or candy bar that you're no longer grabbing cuz you ain't at that tempting counter anymore, right?) all all to the good .

elvan

I go to a friend's pool to work out and she and her daughter and another friend pretty much chain smoke.  When I am in the pool, I do alright but when they come and sit near where I am, it really bothers me and I notice that I get a loose cough almost immediately afterwards.  The thing that drives me the craziest is that they are smoking away with a two month old baby and a two year old in the gazebo...they smoke around them ALL the time.  I may be old and my kids are all grown up but I did not smoke around them when they were little.  I knew it just wasn't right.  I think it is amazing that you COULD go in there.  Do value your quit...it is entirely dependent upon you.

Ellen

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Congrats on 45 days and don't panic!

Breathing second-hand smoke while trying to stop smoking  See entire article at WhyQuit

"Contrary to popular opinion or misconceptions, the risks of secondhand smoke exposure are nothing compared to actually smoking yourself," writes Joel.

"As far as causing a relapse to needing nicotine, it can't do that. The trace amount of nicotine that can be absorbed from second hand smoke exposure is usually under 1% of what a smoker gets from smoking."

According to Joel, "as far as secondhand smoke and nicotine goes, you would have to be in a smoke filled room, non-stop for 100 hours, yes I am saying over 4 days to get the equivalent dose of nicotine delivered to a smoker from one cigarette."

Barb